Orioles call up D.J. Stewart

MurphDogg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Going into the season ZIPs had Stewart projected for a .221 batting average, 15 HRs, 56 RBIs, and 13 steals with a .309 OBP in 436 at bats. I'm rooting for him, but it might be wise for us all to temper our expectations a bit. 

But he's OPSing 1.100 over the last three weeks.  His ZIPs should now be, what... .355/44/177 with a .445 OBP.  Right?

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But he's OPSing 1.100 over the last three weeks.  His ZIPs should now be, what... .355/44/177 with a .445 OBP.  Right?

He looks ready to play in the bigs. Hopefully he is and can make a real contribution.

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Scott McGregor went to the same high school as George Brett.

Oops, we were supposed to keep this thread about Stewart.

I wonder if Stewart will be as good a hitter as George Brett was?

He'll probably be a better hitter than Sammy Stewart.  But a longshot to be the best-hitting Stewart in MLB history, which is probably Shannon.  6000 PAs of a 106 OPS+, and a season with an .882 (118 OPS+, because it was the early 2000s).  .297 career hitter.

17 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I don't know, how should I rate a COF prospect with below average speed/range and an arm that couldn't throw a hand grenade thru a pane glass window from 100 feet.

Another guy to get his ML chance with the 2019 O's but like Smith Jr. , Nunez, etc. he is not a ML regular.

Why do the O's have an entire system full of DH/1B types? That was the old incompetent regime right? I hope so.

I am not, repeat not, a military expert or veteran.  But I believe that throwing a hand grenade through a pane glass window from 100 feet would rate as a very strong arm. ?

8 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

The idea that Stewart is slow is coming from nowhere but his build. All scouting reports and Statcast data suggests he is an above average runner.

Looked great on that steal. Was kind of surprised they didn't challenge the over-slide though.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Looked great on that steal. Was kind of surprised they didn't challenge the over-slide though.

This particular issue hits close to home for me. I've also been a short stocky fast guy for 35 years now. I feel his pain.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I honestly don't think they would change that much. It's three weeks versus three years of data / stats. I'm always going to trust the larger sample size versus the smaller one. 

Also, in my humble opinion Stewart isn't part of the calvary / future. He's just a place holder. Same with Mancini. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I honestly don't think they would change that much. It's three weeks versus three years of data / stats. I'm always going to trust the larger sample size versus the smaller one. 

Also, in my humble opinion Stewart isn't part of the calvary / future. He's just a place holder. Same with Mancini. 

You may need to re-calibrate your sarcasm detector.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I was kidding, poking a little fun at the SSS crowd who go from "he's a bum we never should have drafted" to "what are his Cooperstown chances?" inside of a week.

14 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

The idea that Stewart is slow is coming from nowhere but his build. All scouting reports and Statcast data suggests he is an above average runner.

[insert Bartolo Colon and/or Willians Astudillo running the bases GIF] ;)

If nothing else, I expect Stewart to get on base at a decent clip.  I am not sure if he is a part of the next contending team but I think he will at least be a valuable ML piece for a few years before he gets too expensive. 

7 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Looks like two of DJs hits off of Boyd were over 100mph off the bat - the other a less impressive 58.

I was shocked that the infield chopper was scored as a hit — it looked like a clear error to me.    But I will give credit to Stewart for busting his butt getting down the line, which created the pressure that caused the mistake.     

Archived