Yusniel Diaz activated

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Why not include the entire box score?   It seems kinda strange to only mention the negatives from a single game, let alone his first game back.

Diaz did GIDP and have a K however he was a total of 2 for 4 on the day with a BB.

That doesn't seem that disastrous to me.............

I included his line in the summary as I expected there would be interest in how he did.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2019/05/30/minor-league-game-summaries-5-29-2019-2/

• Thanks 1

If Diaz is who *they* thought he was and Hays is who *we* thought he was, they'll be very exciting over the next several years. I'm not going to over react to SSS. They just need to play.

*they* is the national press at last year's deadline

*we* is the OH when Hays has a healthy stretch

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I have a feeling this Broxton guy will be given a ton of opportunity in CF this year. 

You're probably right, which is fine until Hays is ready.  But Broxton is 29 years old and does not walk a ton.  He appears to be a solid fourth outfield type or a guy that can fill in in a pinch for an injury, but I don't see him as the long-term option (especially not over Hays).  But I agree he will get a long look this year.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

You're probably right, which is fine until Hays is ready.  But Broxton is 29 years old and does not walk a ton.  He appears to be a solid fourth outfield type or a guy that can fill in in a pinch for an injury, but I don't see him as the long-term option (especially not over Hays).  But I agree he will get a long look this year.

Broxton is the position playing equivalent of an "innings eater." He's a warm body looking for a chance to play most days and prove he belongs in the majors. His greatest value to the Orioles is it allows them to not rush players like Hays to the majors. Elias would probably prefer to not have Hays in Baltimore until September. 

Just now, WalkWithElias said:

Broxton is the position playing equivalent of an "innings eater." He's a warm body looking for a chance to play most days and prove he belongs in the majors. His greatest value to the Orioles is it allows them to not rush players like Hays to the majors. Elias would probably prefer to not have Hays in Baltimore until September. 

I agree with everything in your post and I like your handle a lot. :)

21 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

I might argue that for service time reasons, September would be a bad time to call up Hays.   He’s already past the date where he will accrue a full year of service time by the end of 2019, even if he’s called up tomorrow.   If you don’t call him up at all this year, then he’d be short of a full year of service next year if they waited until mid-May to call him up.    If you call him up in September, then next year’s mid-May cutoff becomes mid-June.    Personally, I’d like to see Hays up here for the entire second half of this season — but only if he hits well enough in the minors to justify it.    

I haven't seen Hays play in person very much. Everything I read says he's a corner outfielder. Could he be the long-term answer in center? I was guessing he would be in left with Diaz in right and maybe McKenna or Mullins or a draft choice in center.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I haven't seen Hays play in person very much. Everything I read says he's a corner outfielder. Could he be the long-term answer in center? I was guessing he would be in left with Diaz in right and maybe McKenna or Mullins or a draft choice in center.

Optimally, I don't think our future CF is in the org yet. However, the numbers say that Hays might have to be a CF, at least in the short run, if we want to keep Stewart, Diaz, Mountcastle, Smith and Mancini. That's 5 guys for CoF/1b/DH and it doesn't include Hays or other guys like Nunez if his bat sticks (and certainly not Davis/Trumbo). 

So if Hays forces his way up, it might have to be as a CF for the time being.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Optimally, I don't think our future CF is in the org yet. However, the numbers say that Hays might have to be a CF, at least in the short run, if we want to keep Stewart, Diaz, Mountcastle, Smith and Mancini. That's 5 guys for CoF/1b/DH and it doesn't include Hays or other guys like Nunez if his bat sticks (and certainly not Davis/Trumbo). 

So if Hays forces his way up, it might have to be as a CF for the time being.

I would be fine trading Smith if we can get anything at all back, and Mancini depending on the return.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would be fine trading Smith if we can get anything at all back, and Mancini depending on the return.

Yeah. I don't know how it'll all churn, but the churn has already started and it isn't stopping anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

Really?  I've read that he could be a Jones level fielder in Center.

Let's see what Broxton can do.  He has a ton of talent, but is already 29 and unlikely to produce at an all-star or near all-star level.  There still is room for him to get better with everyday at-bats and justify being a 1-2 WAR everyday regular.  IMO, Broxton is not an "innings eater", "stop gap" or "warm body".  He is a guy trying to prove he is an everyday MLB OFer.  

We are pretty much the worst team in baseball (or certainly bottom four) and should be taking chances on guys like Broxton all day long as long IMO.

6 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Let's see what Broxton can do.  He has a ton of talent, but is already 29 and unlikely to produce at an all-star or near all-star level.  There still is room for him to get better with everyday at-bats and justify being a 1-2 WAR everyday regular.  IMO, Broxton is not an "innings eater", "stop gap" or "warm body".  He is a guy trying to prove he is an everyday MLB OFer.  

We are pretty much the worst team in baseball (or certainly bottom four) and should be taking chances on guys like Broxton all day long as long IMO.

I'm cool with taking a chance on a Broxton type but I don't think we should get our hopes up.  He certainly does have a ton of talent but he's not been able to refine it.  Strikes out way, way too much.  If he becomes a 2 WAR player, that'd be quite a steal. 

Maybe Elias and Sig have identified something in him that makes them believe they can coax more out of him.  Maybe Don Long has some insight into his swing.