What's with the Yusniel regression?

interloper

Just now, jabba72 said:

Right. I admit its a novice opinion. I look at his numbers and dont think a promotion is needed. 

I think instead of checking a players level of dominance you should look at if staying longer at the current level will help or impede his progress as a player.  That is part of the reason I want Stewart promoted, because I don't think more time at AAA will do him any good.  I feel the same way about Diaz and AA.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think instead of checking a players level of dominance you should look at if staying longer at the current level will help or impede his progress as a player.  That is part of the reason I want Stewart promoted, because I don't think more time at AAA will do him any good.  I feel the same way about Diaz and AA.

Stewart's production in Norfolk is on another level,  I agree he shouldn't be there. Thats the logjam the O's will have in the coming years with corner OF's. They cant even make room for Stewart now. But with Smith slumping bad, it should be an easy decision this year. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly.  

28 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

It is neither here nor there, but I saw Diaz a couple games in ST this year and I was pretty impressed.  He certainly looked like what an impact ML hitter looks like to me.  Mountcastle was the only other MiL player I saw live that compared decently to Diaz IMHO and I would have taken Diaz above Mountcastle if forced to make a choice based on what I saw.  I didn’t see Hays live.

Well it sounds like it's more here.  Not as much there.

I'd like to see Diaz in Baltimore this summer however I think we're going to have to wait until 2020 for that to happen.

Diaz was excellent in AA ball before being traded, but hasn't been as good since coming to Bowie. I'm in favor of promoting him. He's been in AA since 2017 and has accrued 683 ABs and hit .284 with an .841 OPS and that's with the regression since coming to Bowie. Also, a pretty outstanding K/BB ratio as well with 149K's to 96BB in AA which is better than what he did in A ball of 151/67.

Either promote Stewart or trade him. He's 8 for his last 38 (.211) and not doing too well at the moment, but he should get a chance somewhere if not here. I think we've given Smith enough time. If not Stewart, maybe Williams, but he's unlikely to be a future piece. Either way, it's time to end the experiment with Smith. He's a liability in the field and not good enough with the bat to make up for it and his arm is getting exposed every game it seems. Guys are running on him without hesitation.

Hays is hot, but I want to see more than 21 games in AAA for him. I'm looking for him next year, Mountcastle too. I imagine we may see both in September in the last year of expanded 40 man rosters.

38 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

It is neither here nor there, but I saw Diaz a couple games in ST this year and I was pretty impressed.  He certainly looked like what an impact ML hitter looks like to me.  Mountcastle was the only other MiL player I saw live that compared decently to Diaz IMHO and I would have taken Diaz above Mountcastle if forced to make a choice based on what I saw.  I didn’t see Hays live.

vatech sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Lets see what they do over the next week. I think it's possible we see a flurry of promotions right after the trade deadline. If Villar or Alberto is dealt, I think we see Wilkerson more in the infield and Stewart or Williams promoted (maybe Hays), opening up a starting OF spot in Triple-A which would allow Diaz to be promoted.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Lets see what they do over the next week. I think it's possible we see a flurry of promotions right after the trade deadline. If Villar or Alberto is dealt, I think we see Wilkerson more in the infield and Stewart or Williams promoted (maybe Hays), opening up a starting OF spot in Triple-A which would allow Diaz to be promoted.

I don't care how well Mason Williams is doing at AAA. His presence on the Tides roster shouldn't prevent Diaz from playing every day at AAA when Diaz is ready. 

Stewart should be in the Majors also, but Mason Williams should should not stand in the way of Diaz getting at-bats at the appropriate level, which at this point I believe is AAA. Finding at-bats for Mason Williams is not a priority.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't care how well Mason Williams is doing at AAA. His presence on the Tides roster shouldn't prevent Diaz from playing every day at AAA when Diaz is ready. 

Stewart should be in the Majors also, but Mason Williams should should not stand in the way of Diaz getting at-bats at the appropriate level, which at this point I believe is AAA. Finding at-bats for Mason Williams is not a priority.

I’m not as worried about moving him up as you are. He is not going to start in Baltimore in 2020 anyway. Bowie has a good chance to make the playoffs. 

Diaz is around the top 10 in homers and RBI in the league, even with missing 40 percent of the season. It looks like they are keeping him there for the playoffs, at least to me. Other than Hays, no one else should keep Diaz from starting in Norfolk at this point.

13 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Diaz is around the top 10 in homers and RBI in the league, even with missing 40 percent of the season. It looks like they are keeping him there for the playoffs, at least to me. Other than Hays, no one else should keep Diaz from starting in Norfolk at this point.

I really don't think that roster moves/promotions are based on playoffs.  Winning a Minor League playoff sells tickets for the MiLB club.  Player development should not be based on a team's place in the standings.  I doubt Elias is looking at the standings as he determines what is best for a player's development.

• Thanks 1