Orioles and the 2019 ASG (Mancini out, Means in)

BohKnowsBmore

7 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

OK then explain what you meant by this "Just an awful team with a requirement that every team gets a player that Means is an All Star."

Sounds to me like you're saying he isn't good enough to be an All Star if the Orioles didn't have to send a representative.

You might be right.  I looked at rookie of the years that were starting pitchers and first off surprisingly there are very few of them. But it looks like about  half made the all star game. Verlander didn’t make the all star game but Dwight Golden did for example.  

I wonder what the odds are that Means wins rookie of the year?  

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

You might be right.  I looked at rookie of the years that were starting pitchers and first off surprisingly there are very few of them. But it looks like about  half made the all star game. Verlander didn’t make the all star game but Dwight Golden did for example.  

I'd say about 4/1

Just now, atomic said:

But he hasn’t done much.

You have to consider many of the rookies who were called up a month or so into the season will have a full second half to accumulate stats, where Means' most appealing numbers are likely to get worse as he gets more outings. 4/1 was probably pretty generous. At least 8/1 is more realistic.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Top 5 finish if he continues would be my guess.  Before the year started, Vlad Jr. was a huge favorite, but so far (emphasis on so far) has been a league average hitter.  Kikuchi of Seattle was also on a few lists, but struggled early.  Means wasn't on any writer's pre-season lists, but he's mentioned in one now.

Dark Horses

John Means, LHP, Orioles; Spencer Turnbull, RHP, Tigers

Means leads all American League rookie starters with a 2.33 ERA and is confounding opponents with a dastardly changeup. He is progressively pitching deeper into games and is assuming the role of the O’s top starter. Turnbull is right behind Means with a 2.40 ERA and leads all rookie starters—in both leagues—with 50 strikeouts.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-rookie-of-the-year-watch/