BA: 2020 International Draft?

weams

One of the bigger twists in MLB's latest draft concept is the draft order. Instead of replicating the order of the June draft, which would reward the team with the worst record the previous season withtwo No. 1 overall draft picks, the teams picking at the top of the draft would rotate annually by division. So one year, for example, the teams in the National League East would get the top five overall picks. The next year another division would get the top five picks, and it would rotate every six years.

Seems unlikely to get traction.    I don’t see any of this happening until there’s a new CBA.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

This would be advantageous to Elias' plan as there wouldn't be any backdoor deals with 14 and 15 year old prospects and we can immediately tap into prime international talent. Would we get 1st overall pick too?

Nope, read article and answered question. I don't like that part of the proposal. I say #1goes to worst record

What's stopping us from having one draft for both International and domestic?

22 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Nope, read article and answered question. I don't like that part of the proposal. I say #1goes to worst record

This would essentially double the motivation for teams to tank like the O's currently are. It would double the value you potentially get from having the worst record. I don't think there's any chance of that happening

Edited by CallMeBrooksie

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

So MLB wants to extend the draft to international players, to drive down their bargaining power.   Meanwhile, the MLBPA wants to eliminate the draft for domestic players, to drive up their bargaining power.  Should be an interesting CBA negotiation!  

I like the idea of normalizing the insertion of international talent into the MLB and taking away the power of the Buscone criminal cadres. 

The proposal in the article states:

One of the bigger twists in MLB's latest draft concept is the draft order. Instead of replicating the order of the June draft, which would reward the team with the worst record the previous season withtwo No. 1 overall draft picks, the teams picking at the top of the draft would rotate annually by division. So one year, for example, the teams in the National League East would get the top five overall picks. The next year another division would get the top five picks, and it would rotate every six years.

Ugh.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I, on the other hand, enjoy watching international players and think the owners have enough money.

It seems to me that instituting a draft could be revenue neutral at the macro level.    Right now, teams are allowed to spend (from memory) roughly $145 mm on international players.    It would be pretty easy to set the draft slots in a manner that comes to the same total.   All that would be changing is the manner in which the players are acquired.   Admittedly, I haven’t thought this through in any detail.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It seems to me that instituting a draft could be revenue neutral at the macro level.    Right now, teams are allowed to spend (from memory) roughly $145 mm on international players.    It would be pretty easy to set the draft slots in a manner that comes to the same total.   All that would be changing is the manner in which the players are acquired.   Admittedly, I haven’t thought this through in any detail.  

Why would teams fund academies if they have a draft?  Why should the Yankees develop a kid just to have the Red Sox draft him?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why would teams fund academies if they have a draft?  Why should the Yankees develop a kid just to have the Red Sox draft him?

Maybe I don’t understand their system.   Do players currently go to these academies before they’ve been signed by a club?    

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe I don’t understand their system.   Do players currently go to these academies before they’ve been signed by a club?    

Upon further review I don't see any evidence supporting the idea that they do.

I still think that a huge streamlining of the talent acquisition will happen. 

. In the Dominican Republic, 450-500 players are being signed a year

450 players, 30 teams we are looking at 15 rounds for the Dominican Republic alone.  Less kids equals less overhead. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Upon further review I don't see any evidence supporting the idea that they do.

I still think that a huge streamlining of the talent acquisition will happen. 

450 players, 30 teams we are looking at 15 rounds for the Dominican Republic alone.  Less kids equals less overhead. 

They could sign fewer kids now if they wanted to.   Presumably they sign so many because they’re afraid they’ll miss out on some kid who’s not that good now but might develop.    Will there be a prohibition against signing kids who nobody drafted?    There isn’t a prohibition like that regarding the Rule 4 draft, I don’t think.    I know we signed one undrafted guy.