Must Read: Review of the Baysox rotation

Frobby

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sedlock threw 5.0 IP of no hit ball last night in game 2 of the DH. Zimmerman with the CG 7.0 shutout in Game 1. 

They’re on some kind of run. Teams are barely getting hits, let alone runs. 

The Bowie rotation is reason for hope in 2021/2022+. With Akin, Hall, and Rodriguez in the mix. Sprinkle in a NCAA SP with the #1 pick in 2020’s draft. There’s potential. 

Yes!  This septuagenarian has hope to have enough brain cells left to appreciate the spectacle!  ⚾

• Upvote 2

On 7/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, Philip said:

I understand completely and you're missing my point.

Means should be traded at peak value for reasons I've already mentioned. The trick is knowing when that is. That's all I'm saying.

Peak value is one component. The other is need. When there is a gap between your team needs and the rest of the league, causing you to undervalue a player and the league to overvalue, that is when players get traded. Right now, Means is worth as much or more to us than to the rest of the league. That could change if we are still .300 in 2-3 years.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Peak value is one component. The other is need. When there is a gap between your team needs and the rest of the league, causing you to undervalue a player and the league to overvalue, that is when players get traded. Right now, Means is worth as much or more to us than to the rest of the league. That could change if we are still .300 in 2-3 years.

Well said sir.

Bowie pitchers now rank 1-2-3 in the Eastern League in ERA, with Wells at 1.83, Zimmermann at 2.58 and Lowther at 2.64.

Bowie is 16-4 in July, 25-7 and in first place in the second half and 36-11 since June 1. The Baysox started the year at 7-23 (.233) and are 48-22 (.686) since then.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/07/os-lefty-alex-wells-moved-to-double-a-and-met-the-challenge.html

Great stuff on Wells in this column.     

IMO, this thread (which was combined with a general thread on the Baysox from the minors forum that’s been running all year) should go back to the minors section.    But before it does, let me just say I’m excited that a year from now we should have several starting pitching prospects who are on the cusp of the majors.

• Upvote 1

Talk about a team that turned it around. They are playing great baseball right now. The pitching has really come a long way, and I am actually most excited to see the Orioles minor league system simply not sucking. They have three teams in first place in their respective divisions as of today. That is very nice to see.

18 minutes ago, Yachtsman said:

Talk about a team that turned it around. They are playing great baseball right now. The pitching has really come a long way, and I am actually most excited to see the Orioles minor league system simply not sucking. They have three teams in first place in their respective divisions as of today. That is very nice to see.

They have gone 33-8 over the last 41 games. .804 winning percentage.

• Upvote 2

Diaz is their only player with 100 PA this season to have an .800 OPS. So it’s been all pitching, defense, and timely hitting. 

Marcus Molina(24) even was pitching decently(4.34 ERA) in the rotation until getting bumped to the pen. 

Alvarado, Tate, and Erwin, have been standouts in the bullpen. Alvarado is flourishing in the super reliever role with already 55 IP and no starts. 

This is strange for us, but pitching goes a long ways. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Diaz is their only player with 100 PA this season to have an .800 OPS. So it’s been all pitching, defense, and timely hitting. 

Marcus Molina(24) even was pitching decently(4.34 ERA) in the rotation until getting bumped to the pen. 

Alvarado, Tate, and Erwin, have been standouts in the bullpen. Alvarado is flourishing in the super reliever role with already 55 IP and no starts. 

This is strange for us, but pitching goes a long ways. 

I think this undersells the Bowie offense.    The Eastern League is an extreme pitchers’ league this year: 4.01 runs/game, 3.58 ERA, .680 OPS.    The Baysox lead the league at 4.34 runs/game (.33 above league average) and are second in the league in OPS at .699.    The pitchers allow 3.77 runs/game (.24 below league average, 3rd in the league) and have a 3.31 ERA (.27 below league average and 2nd in the league).    So, the offense is further above league average than the pitching is, though both are very good.   

I do agree that most of our prospects are on the pitching side.    The offense has a lot of solid contributors who are older and not really prospects.   

One guy who deserves special mention is Mason McCoy.  On the day he joined the Baysox, they were 7-23.    They’re 48-22 since his arrival.    He’s actually slumping now, but was a huge key to turning around the Baysox’s offense when he arrived.    

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have any insight on why Eastern League is such a pitcher's league this year? Is that different than year's past? Is it because most of the talent is on the pitching side, baseball differences, just consistent with history?

I just don't recall this ever being the case and I'm not sure how it suddenly did become the case. I wonder if that minor league ball is even more dead than year's before?

26 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Does anyone have any insight on why Eastern League is such a pitcher's league this year? Is that different than year's past? Is it because most of the talent is on the pitching side, baseball differences, just consistent with history?

I just don't recall this ever being the case and I'm not sure how it suddenly did become the case. I wonder if that minor league ball is even more dead than year's before?

I don’t know.   Run scoring is down about .4 runs per game in that league, which is pretty dramatic.   It could just be a case of there being a lot of good pitchers there this year.   Hard to tell if there’s some external factor.   The Carolina League is down .1 and the Sally League is up .1, so it’s not something that’s happening all over the minors below AAA.

It’s almost to the point where this thread should be stickied. 

Just another solid effort tonight by a Bowie Starter.

Lowther - 6 IP 1 ER 6k/4BB 4 Hits. Season ERA now at 2.57.

Also, I know Alvarado is basically an org guy, but he’s having a heck of a season as a multi inning reliever. He’s been a workhorse for us since he’s been in the organization. 

http://m.milb.com/player/622459

He’s the type of player I hope we hook up with a sept callup one year. 

• Upvote 1

o

The AA-Baysox were able to watch an Oriole game on one of their days off.

Unfortunately, the parent club was crushed by the Blue Jays by a score of 11-2.

On Bowie Off-Night, Baysox Pitchers Take It In at Oriole Park

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/on-bowie-off-night-baysox-pitchers-take-it-in-at-oriole-park.html

o