Stewart recalled

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Their actions say they don’t think Nunez can handle 3rd. If it was truly a tryout there for him the second Ruiz went down he should have been playing 3rd everyday.

I'm convinced there is something wrong with his arm/shoulder. He's not that bad a defender at 3B, but if starting Nunez at 1B and Alberto at 3B keeps Davis on the bench, then I'm good with it.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'm convinced there is something wrong with his arm/shoulder. He's not that bad a defender at 3B, but if starting Nunez at 1B and Alberto at 3B keeps Davis on the bench, then I'm good with it.

Yeah, makes sense. 

I don’t understand why Peterson is on the team unless they want to look like an organization that will reward MiL vets that play well. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah, makes sense. 

I don’t understand why Peterson is on the team unless they want to look like an organization that will reward MiL vets that play well. 

I think the failure of Mullins, the suppression (for whatever reason) of DJ Stewart so long, forced them to use Wilkerson primarily as an outfielder.

And they need a backup infielder who could play multiple positions and Peterson actually fits that description.   And he was raking in Norfolk.

Now when Rio Ruiz was sent down, 12 days ago, it was framed that we were doing it as a favor so he wasn't 3000 miles away when he went on paternity leave and it would be much easier to get to his wife quickly from the East Coast.   Also, given the uncertain timing of these type of things, we couldn't have the possibility that he would suddenly have to leave before and we would be in a situation where we couldn't get someone to the West Coast in time for that day's game to replace him.   When you have a 2 or 3 man bench like we have been playing with, you really can't be a man further short even for a game if you can help it.

But I kind of thought when Ruiz's 10 days were up, he would be right back up.  With Peterson probably going back down.   And here it is Day 12 and that hasn't happened..   So maybe there is more to this demotion than just working around his paternity situation for his and the team's benefit.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's not that bad a defender at 3B

Polite disagreement.   I watched a couple Bobby Dickerson segments online a few months back and in a few of them he is working with Nunez in 2018.  He's just not smooth in anything he does over there.  You could tell Dickerson wasn't thrilled about Nunez' ability to apply his instruction during the video too.  I was fine with giving Ruiz the rest of the reps at 3rd for the year even if just to prove he's not the answer for 2020.  

Time to go

C- Severino/Sisco

1B - Mancini/Nunez

2B - Villar/Alberto (hopefully someone claims Villar on waivers and Wilkerson can get a little eval time at 2b/3B)

SS- Martin / VIllar

3B - Ruiz/Alberto

OF - Santander, Stewart, Wilkerson, Call up Mason Williams

DH - Nunez/Mancini

Davis to bench or release (if we keep him we have to go to a 4 man bench).  Call up Hays in September

DFA Peterson and Smith Jr.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I wondered in the Spring if he tore his bicep more than they let on.

Won't bother his hitting since it is not his top hand.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Nunez can’t play third. He makes Mark Reynolds look like a gold lever. Peterson can’t either, but he’s not quite as bad. I’m not sure how good Alberto is at third, or Wilkerson, but frankly I’d rather have Ruiz back

Are you the guy who thinks anyone who isn't a plus defender belongs at DH?  I could be confusing you with multiple other posters. 

DJ is an average corner OF.  Nunez was adequate at 3B last year.  Slightly on the plus side as far as defensive metrics go, much better than Reynolds ever was with us.  He deserves a chance to play there to see if he is a possible long term solution.

I'm in favor of playing people slightly out of position (I.E. Santander in center) if it means guys with no future on this team (Davis, Peterson, Wilkerson) are out of the lineup.  It's time to evaluate. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Nunez can’t play third. He makes Mark Reynolds look like a gold lever. Peterson can’t either, but he’s not quite as bad. I’m not sure how good Alberto is at third, or Wilkerson, but frankly I’d rather have Ruiz back

That is apparently your eyes opinion, but the defensive metrics last year made him about average at 3B. Now, perhaps there is something wrong with him this year that is keeping him from physically playing 3B, but it's not because he brutal.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Polite disagreement.   I watched a couple Bobby Dickerson segments online a few months back and in a few of them he is working with Nunez in 2018.  He's just not smooth in anything he does over there.  You could tell Dickerson wasn't thrilled about Nunez' ability to apply his instruction during the video too.  I was fine with giving Ruiz the rest of the reps at 3rd for the year even if just to prove he's not the answer for 2020.  

Time to go

C- Severino/Sisco

1B - Mancini/Nunez

2B - Villar/Alberto (hopefully someone claims Villar on waivers and Wilkerson can get a little eval time at 2b/3B)

SS- Martin / VIllar

3B - Ruiz/Alberto

OF - Santander, Stewart, Wilkerson, Call up Mason Williams

DH - Nunez/Mancini

Davis to bench or release (if we keep him we have to go to a 4 man bench).  Call up Hays in September

DFA Peterson and Smith Jr.

Nunez was worth 0.1 dWAR last year and had a -2 Rdrs/yr with 0 being average. I certainly don't think Nunez is a plus defender but i also don't think he's a total hack. He has a very strong arm, but his footwork and accuracy of his throws have been his issues in the past. He improved a lot under Richardson last year. 

Ruiz is clearly the better defender at 3B, but he doesn't have the power to be an everyday major leaguer at a corner position. 

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ruiz is clearly the better defender at 3B, but he doesn't have the power to be an everyday major leaguer at a corner position. 

Overall you think Nunez is the better player, all things considered? I’ll accept that, but man I really hate bad defense. And for years we had the best available.