John Means Returns (vs. YANKEES, 8/07)

OFFNY

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Can Lefty John Means Slow the Red-Hot Yankees Bats?

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/can-os-lefty-john-means-slow-the-red-hot-yankees-bat.html

o

o

BALTIMORE O RIOLES

Hanser Joel Alberto Pena - LF

Trey Mancini - RF

Anthony Santander - DH

Renato Nunez - 3B

Jonathan Rafael Villar Roque - 2B

Pedro Severino De Leon - C

Steve Wilkerson - CF

Chris Davis - 1B

Richie Martin - SS

John Alan Means - LHP )) (8-6, 3.11 ERA)

NEW YORYANKEES

David John LeMahieu - 1B

Aaron James "A.J." Judge - RF

Giovanny Urshela - 3B

Mariekson Gregorius - SS 

Cameron Maybin - RF

Brett Gardner - CF

Kyle Higashioka - C

Michael Tauchman - LF

Breyvic Jose Valera Henriquez - 2B

James Alston Paxton - LHP )) (6-6, 4.61 ERA)

https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

23 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

NEW YORYANKEES

James Alston Paxton - LHP )) (6-6, 4.61 ERA)

o

o

I found this to be modestly interesting .........

Tonight's starting pitcher against the Orioles (James Paxton) was drafted by the Blue Jays in the 1st Round after pitching for the University of Kentucky for 2 years. He was offered a $1 Million signing bonus ........ but he chose not to sign, and instead returned for his junior season at Kentucky.

One year later, he dropped a bit in the draft (the 4th round), but he didn't lose much money in the process ........ after much squabbling, the Mariners gave him a $942,000 signing bonus, which was almost as much as the $1 Million that the Blue Jays had offered him one year earlier.

Mariners Finally Sign 2010 4-Round Draft Pick James Paxton

(By Bob Condotta)

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-finally-sign-2010-fourth-round-draft-pick-james-paxton/

o

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Many of Tiger’s injuries were due to circumstances fully within his control.   Just sayin’.
    • I think it is as simple as that they believe until Holliday gets sorted out and returns, his bat on the bench and as a part-time starter makes them a bit better team than their other roster alternatives. Given that you have Santander in the last year of his deal and Mullins and Hays in their last two seasons, you don't really have the long-term outfield depth that would tempt you to move him for a short-term bullpen fix. He likely goes back to Norfolk when Holliday comes up, depending on injuries, if Cowser hits a major slump, how he plays in the part-time role, etc, etc, but they are willing to sacrifice some of his AAA playing time and development to be better in the short term. I don't have a problem with that.
    • Now we’re on to Mateo.  Nope.  My turn to ask the question.   If Mayo comes up and is average defensively at 3B and puts up an .800+ OPS at 3B and Westburg continues to hit and plays 2B what do you do with Holliday short term and long term? ”Last scenario, if he does great on both sides of the ball, what do you do with Holliday for the rest of this season and long term?”
    • No, I don't have Holliday penciled into the HOF. I never said that. What I said is that I believe in his talent. I don't think that many people got it wrong in his evaluation.  I also don't believe that Mayo's defense is anywhere close to good enough to be an All-star caliber 3B. But I do believe that is possible (maybe even very for Westburg). I'm not sure that professional sports is a meritocracy. In that the more talent/ability that you have, the more opportunities that you will get. That probably explains why Holliday got the first crack at the Bigs over Norby (and even Mayo to a degree).  Last thing, right now Mateo is performing best at the other INF spot (second best). Do you want him to stay/get more playing time right now?
    • They will be cautious with Holliday now.  I am sure they would hate to have to send him down a second time.  I'm thinking mid-season for Holliday if all goes well in Norfolk.  If he struggles down there, which isn't out of the realm of possibility, it could be delayed further.  Mayo is destroying the ball and should get the call next.  There is a spot for him at third with Westburg moving to second. 
    • IMO we will see a move by June 1st for either Holliday or Mayo (maybe both) as the O’s schedule June to all-Star break is tough as nails. 
    • I watched The Crow. Heck of a pinch hitter in the Glory Years - delivered big hits fairly often. Probably gets added credit for tenure as hitting coach. That's all I got. 
  • Popular Contributors