Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who cares if it’s in the news or not?

Prepare to have a stroke.   Having kept him on the roster all year, there’s little downside to giving him one more offseason to try to come up with some way to improve.    They can always cut him next March.    Meanwhile he’s costing them a 40-man roster spot, but that’s not too big a deal.   

I am not convinced this is what they are thinking. Some of Hyde’s quotes suggest they think Davis is not doing the things that he needs to do. If he’s not making a good faith effort to use the analytics to get better, then they may be done with Davis. Having Davis sleep walking through the process is definitely not what you want your young players seeing. If Effort and willingness to change is not the problem, then there’s definitely no hope for improvement. The latter is probably the correct take. Honestly It’s hard to believe that Elias thinks there’s anything that Chris Davis can do at this point to get better. I mean I haven’t read anything substantial about how Davis can change his swing to get better, etc. If you weigh the infinitesimally small chance that Davis will be significantly better versus the distraction he will be, then it’s a clear cut decision. Nobody  believes he’s going to get better. Chris Davis’ mother wouldn’t bet more than five dollars that he will ever be a real player again. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I am not convinced this is what they are thinking. Some of Hyde’s quotes suggest they think Davis is not doing the things that he needs to do. If he’s not making a good faith effort to use the analytics to get better, then they may be done with Davis. Having Davis sleep walking through the process is definitely not what you want your young players seeing. If Effort and willingness to change is not the problem, then there’s definitely no hope for improvement. The latter is probably the correct take. Honestly It’s hard to believe that Elias thinks there’s anything that Chris Davis can do at this point to get better. I mean I haven’t read anything substantial about how Davis can change his swing to get better, etc. If you weigh the infinitesimally small chance that Davis will be significantly better versus the distraction he will be, then it’s a clear cut decision. Nobody  believes he’s going to get better. Chris Davis’ mother wouldn’t bet more than five dollars that he will ever be a real player again. 

Obviously, if ownership allowed it Davis would be gone.  They are just trying to build a case to show to ownership that Davis doesn't  listen to anything when they are trying to help him.  Didn't work on anything in the off-season.  I don't think it will work and Davis will outlast Hyde. 

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just watched Davis hit into the shift for the third time tonight.    I have zero sympathy for him if he can’t adjust his game.   

I have sympathy for him for the entire situation.  I don’t think he can adjust.   Having said that I so wish there was an amicable way both parties could resolve this and move on..... 

Edit: Full disclosure, I am no longer watching the games anymore.   Made it longer than last year!