I actually liked this team.

Bahama O's Fan

33 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yeah but I didn't want to say it. Obviously the team still has alot to do, especially the pitching but it's interesting now.

There is definitely some young talent on this team that will stick around for while and might even be a part of the next winning team. A total 180 from last season. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

I agree....much better individual and collective efforts this year, and few expectations helped me as a fan enjoy this year more.  Was good to get a clean break from the Buck and Dan era...onward with the renovation! 

I wouldn't go so far as to say a clean break.  Still that skinny elephant in the room...or on the bench.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say a clean break.  Still that skinny elephant in the room...or on the bench.

I agree.  He is the last piece of leftover business to be dealt with by the new regime.

I mainly was referring to the persons themselves...Buck and Dan versus Brandon and Mike.   It was fun for me having somebody other than Buck managing the team and definitely much better hearing Mike talk about “the process” compared to Dan.   

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

I agree.  He is the last piece of leftover business to be dealt with by the new regime.

I mainly was referring to the persons themselves...Buck and Dan versus Brandon and Mike.   It was fun for me having somebody other than Buck managing the team and definitely much better hearing Mike talk about “the process” compared to Dan.   

In Dan's defense his lines sounded a lot more fresh in year one.  If Elias is still talking about "the process" in four years I imagine it will be pretty stale.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In Dan's defense his lines sounded a lot more fresh in year one.  If Elias is still talking about "the process" in four years I imagine it will be pretty stale.

Dan was not very communicative in my book.  He was much more an old school GM, like Andy was too, using the standard cliches for the fans rather than really telling us much we didn’t already know.  Mike is much more open from what I have seen...generational differences I think.  

But he does use that word, process,  like a mantra....and his staff too...I saw an interview with Chris Holt on MLB.com and I bet he said the word 15 times in a five minute interview..lol. 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Dan was not very communicative in my book.  He was much more an old school GM, like Andy was too, using the standard cliches for the fans rather than really telling us much we didn’t already know.  Mike is much more open from what I have seen...generational differences I think.  

But he does use that word, process,  like a mantra....and his staff too...I saw an interview with Chris Holt on MLB.com and I bet he said the word 15 times in a five minute interview..lol. 

He's certainly more personable.  As for being open, I don't think he's going to give any more real information than Dan did, it simply isn't good business.

I am curious if he's going to do more stuff like that AMA he did when hired or if that was a one time deal.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's certainly more personable.  As for being open, I don't think he's going to give any more real information than Dan did, it simply isn't good business.

I am curious if he's going to do more stuff like that AMA he did when hired or if that was a one time deal.

I hope so.  I think Mike gives more information because he uses a lot more and different types of information than Dan and while holding back the most sophisticated parts of his thinking, he still can be more transparent with us about the analytics because he actually uses them and they are common in baseball fan thinking these days,  unlike Dan and old school GMs who were not so fluent in this area.  Plus I think Mike has the considerable advantage of not dealing with the old man’s reactions to everything that is said or done which will hopefully help him feel less paranoid and more free to communicate with the fans who want more details.   Not revealing any trade secrets, just a different kind of marketing for us more knowledgeable fans. 

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see it as an ongoing thing. I saw it as an introduction.