I actually liked this team.

Bahama O's Fan

I doubt that we sign a free agent first baseman and highly doubt that Elias targets a first baseman in any offseason trades.  So, moving Mancini off first would probably depend on any improvement made by Mountcastle since he’s our only prospect at that position anywhere near Major League ready.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I doubt that we sign a free agent first baseman and highly doubt that Elias targets a first baseman in any offseason trades.  So, moving Mancini off first would probably depend on any improvement made by Mountcastle since he’s our only prospect at that position anywhere near Major League ready.

I expect Mountcastle up relatively early in the year.   Where he plays viz. Mancini probably depends on who is the better OF.

8 minutes ago, weams said:

The 26th man make league minimum in addition to the full payout for Davis Actually times three. So 1.8 if he gets cut. 

I wonder how much it costs to insure Davis' contract.  If he is cut, the O's can cancel the insurance policy and save money by not paying premiums.  Cutting him might be close to a wash in terms of money.  I don't think the money the O's would pay someone else is the issue in keeping Davis around.

15 minutes ago, EricK said:

I wonder how much it costs to insure Davis' contract.  If he is cut, the O's can cancel the insurance policy and save money by not paying premiums.  Cutting him might be close to a wash in terms of money.  I don't think the money the O's would pay someone else is the issue in keeping Davis around.

I think the insurance was only good for three seasons. I think that is the max term that can be purchased now. 

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The 2018 season seemed to last forever.  That team sleep walked through the season and certainly didn't play up to it's potential (not that it was great potential, but on paper they shouldn't have been THAT bad).  Buck had worn out his welcome and just didn't seem to know what to do.  We can look back at the trades we made and probably all agree that the returns were underwhelming now that we've got some distance between then and now.  It was a terrible, terrible season that I think we'd all like to forget.

And on paper, the win total for this season isn't great, although they improved a little bit.  And there were some dreadful moments, the pitching was often terrible.  Set a record for homers allowed that probably won't be broken depending if they decided to take some of the helium out of the baseballs next season.  There were gaffes in the field and on the bases.  

But at least this team had heart and wanted to be there.  At least they didn't sleep walk through the season.  They'd get their brains beat in one night and come back the next day like nothing happened and play a close, tight game.  They gave us a .500 month, something that the 2018 team couldn't sniff.  And I would much rather watch the emergence of guys like Hanser Alberto (shut up about his WAR), Means, and Nunez over an aging sassy veteran that didn't 100% know his role like Adam Jones or a guy we're forced to like more than we probably should have in Manny Machado.  The difference was night and day.  

I used to think the term "lovable losers" was stupid.  In my mind there was no correlation between the two.  I didn't understand how the early Mets could have been viewed that way, same for the Cubs.  But I think when I look back on this team in the years to come I'll view this bunch in that light.  And hopefully there are pieces here that are on our next winning team.  

Do you have @Bahama O's Fan on ignore?  ?

• Upvote 1

I wonder how many games this team lost strictly due to really stupid play, such as overthrowing the cutoff man, two run sac fly, holding onto the ball when the winning run scored, throwing to the wrong base, running to the wrong base, etc?

I know every team in MLB makes SOME mistakes like that but I have to think we made a lot more than average.  And I know they didn't all cost us games...even without last night's season ending gaffe, Boston has 2 on and nobody out and the meat of the order up and probably beats us anyway.

But I still think if we could just have cut those types of mental errors down to the MLB average, we might have won 6 or 7 more games, maybe even avoided losing 100.  And you don't have to have the talent of Willie Mays to throw to the right base, those types of things don't necessarily correlate with talent.

Of course we all will be watching for improved talent as it comes up through the system and as Elias acquires it.  But I'll also be watching to see if we make those kind of near-daily screwups next year.   I think it's on Hyde and the coaching staff to clean that up and if they don't then I don't think they'll be sticking around for many more years.

44 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wonder how many games this team lost strictly due to really stupid play, such as overthrowing the cutoff man, two run sac fly, holding onto the ball when the winning run scored, throwing to the wrong base, running to the wrong base, etc?

I know every team in MLB makes SOME mistakes like that but I have to think we made a lot more than average.  And I know they didn't all cost us games...even without last night's season ending gaffe, Boston has 2 on and nobody out and the meat of the order up and probably beats us anyway.

But I still think if we could just have cut those types of mental errors down to the MLB average, we might have won 6 or 7 more games, maybe even avoided losing 100.  And you don't have to have the talent of Willie Mays to throw to the right base, those types of things don't necessarily correlate with talent.

Of course we all will be watching for improved talent as it comes up through the system and as Elias acquires it.  But I'll also be watching to see if we make those kind of near-daily screwups next year.   I think it's on Hyde and the coaching staff to clean that up and if they don't then I don't think they'll be sticking around for many more years.

Their Pythagorean W-L was 60-102. Definitely some truth to what you're saying here.