2020 Mock Offseason

Bahama O's Fan

I expect no major FA acquisitions. Maybe, just maybe, they sign Iglesias or Galvis on 1-2 year deals since the system is still thin in those spots and may need to replace Villar as well. Possibly they could be flipped if they perform.

Biggest moves, if any, will be trading of Villar, Givens, and/or Bundy.

Oh yeah, and I predict we will grind the Rule 5 draft, as always.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I expect no major FA acquisitions. Maybe, just maybe, they sign Iglesias or Galvis on 1-2 year deals since the system is still thin in those spots and may need to replace Villar as well. Possibly they could be flipped if they perform.

Biggest moves, if any, will be trading of Villar, Givens, and/or Bundy.

Oh yeah, and I predict we will grind the Rule 5 draft, as always.

Definition of selling low, IMO. He's one guy I wouldn't trade because he should be better than he was this year. Significantly better.

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Definition of selling low, IMO. He's one guy I wouldn't trade because he should be better than he was this year. Significantly better.

We said that last year, too. 

He would in theory have more value to a contender with a strong first half of the 2020 season, though, and I suspect we won't trade him this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

We said that last year, too. 

He would in theory have more value to a contender with a strong first half of the 2020 season, though, and I suspect we won't trade him this offseason. 

Why ever trade him if we're not getting an impact guy back? Only reason is $$, which is valid at some point. I'd still keep him this year.

I aggressively shop Villar and try to sell high on him coming off a season with 24 home runs and 40 steals. I don't trust Cobb to stay healthy, and also look to sign one starter similar to Cashner who can help eat innings and be a trade candidate come July.

And as much as it pains me trade Mancini if a team makes an offer that is too good to refuse. If a team wants to trade a top 50 prospect, I think you have to take that deal. Just make sure that prospect isn't damaged goods or has off the field problems that haven't been made pubic yet. 

5 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Pardon my ignorance not doing the research, but is this collective free agent class seem older on average than previous ones?  Not many guys under the age of 30 at any position.  I say that and most of these guys are closer to my age.

Getting old is a *itch.

Teams have gotten more aggressive extending young talent. 

12 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Pardon my ignorance not doing the research, but is this collective free agent class seem older on average than previous ones?  Not many guys under the age of 30 at any position.  I say that and most of these guys are closer to my age.

Getting old is a *itch.

Six plus years from debut to free agency.  An average college guy doesn't sign his first pro contract until 20, 21 or 22.  Even a top player will spend parts of three, maybe four years in the minors.  I'd guess that your average first-year free agent is over 30 in any year.  Manny and Harper were very much the exception.

Carlos Ruiz didn't hit 100 PAs until he was 28, and wasn't a free agent until (IIRC) 36.  He was in full-on decline before he had a choice of employer.

I expect another extremely barren off season at the major league level. I’d like to imagine at least one SP is signed...probably someone coming off a bad year hoping to turn it around who also exhausted all other options. I see absolutely no reason to go after any position players. We have plenty options. If  Villar is traded then maybe some minor league deals for competition but I doubt any major league deals are handed out even in that scenario.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a good gamble for the teams.

Wish the O's would do it more often.

If there's one question I have about Elias/ownership, it's this. They're shattering a lot of old Orioles ways of doing business, and this is a big one we don't talk about much (understandably - we're mostly unsure of our young talent right now and there's a lot of other things to worry about). I'll be interested to see if we jump on this trend.