Future of Orioles Hangout

Tony-OH

Tony, I am one of many people who would be happy to pay in order to keep you around. I read the team guys when nothing else is available, But they are limited by their job circumstances, and they can’t get very in depth nor discuss controversial issues, and frankly I don’t think they analyze very well.

Ill be happy to join. We lost Camden depot a few months ago, and that was a tremendous disappointment. I hope you can stay at least until I die...20 years or so...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been sinking money into this site for my membership to supplement the ad-free experience. My presumption was that posts about money and ad revenues aren't directed at me; I have had my wallet open for eleven years. I thought that was standard procedure across the internet. Is that not the case? Obviously I can still see ads.

Bottom line: I'm not interested in ads. I pay people to not show them to me. 

Maybe the parameters for what a free membership get you need to change. Maybe the money spent by members needs to be budgeted to different things, fewer things. But ultimately if it's an energy thing, then I can't help that.

Thanks for keeping the site alive all this time. I've appreciated it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I almost never write but have been a member almost forever  (2003).

I'm now 76 and am a little more worried whether I will see another World Series in my lifetime LOL.

However, in my opinion you need to do a couple of things:

1. Raise the rates somewhat- $2 a month is too low for what we get.

2. Remove the limited membership and not allow them to post, just to read.

3. I would consider a contribution to keep it going.

Barry-Doctor BJ

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Tony,   I want to thank you for all you have done to make Orioles baseball  more  enjoyable  for many, many years.  The way you have run the Hangout and the expertise you bring to it is excellent.    If this site was not here or diminished it would be missed.  You would be missed.

I understand about being tired.   I think most of us older folks have experienced that feeling even with projects that we have enjoyed, as time goes by.    Whatever you decide to do has be the best you and your family.

If the cause for the change you are thinking about is money I would hope you could share more about what stress you are under so those of us on the Hangout can weigh what can be done to help you. 

Thanks again Tony.   You have created something special here that I hope  does not end.

wildcard

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I've thought about it off and on. I do seem to remember a thread a year or two ago where revenue concerns and ad blockers came up here and there were several suggestions made for alternative payment methods to be incorporated such as affiliate links, a patreon account for the site, tip jars and so on. I would get the most use from an Amazon affiliate link which would send commission your way every month maybe even multiple times a month. It's also a great way for lurkers to support the site without even signing up for an account. It was disappointing to see that not a single one of those suggestions was implemented here and now, here we are again. The site needs to move into this age as far as using more of the available options to generate revenue and the fact that no apparent effort has been made towards this end is... well, disappointing.

I seem to recall allowing ads here to adversely affect the performance of the site in my browser which I did multiple times. Maybe I'll try again, but I do not trust online advertisers and there's every reason not to.

I do hope that whatever happens, the site stays around even if the reigns are passed on. My interest in baseball has been waning a little more each year which is probably a main reason I don't commit to a membership. Manfred seems intent on killing my interest entirely. Aside from that, I also like the perks of not having one such as not knowing who gives thumbs up/down to my posts. I'd rather NOT know to be honest!

I also understand feeling worn out, though. Nothing can be done about that except doing what you need to do. Passing the reigns on to someone else is hopefully a possibility here. Whatever the case, Tony, do what you have to do for you.

• Thanks 1