Future of Orioles Hangout

Tony-OH

Thank you, Tony, far beyond what a few words here can say. The Hangout is a truly special environment in the impersonal and often hostile vortex of the Web and has been a bright (orange) light of Orioles community since the beginning. 

Here's one small action your appeal has motivated my lazy self to do just now: disable my adblocker for this site! Took all of 2.5 seconds, but one of those things that got neglected for years, out of sheer inertia. Now if everyone can do at least that much...

That said, I note your other considerations, which I can relate to. So maybe a way can be found to step back (somewhat, at least) and have some younger blood pick up the slack... just like baseball. :)

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Just take 2020 off and come back fresh when the O’s are respectable again.

You know this is not bad advice. Now that the O’s look to be competently run with non-toxic ownership involvement the OH has the potential to be an even better place than before. 

Which is saying something...

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 24fps said:

You know this is not bad advice. Now that the O’s look to be competently run with non-toxic ownership involvement the OH has the potential to be an even better place than before. 

Which is saying something...

Not a bad idea. I'm sure the inmates could run the Asylum for a year.

What a gut punch it would be if the OH closed up shop. I'd be absolutely devastated. I've read this board almost every day since the Syd Thrift days--it's a part of my everyday life. I've been a plus member in the past and would happily do so again, or contribute via Patreon, if that would help.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Another suggestion would be move this site to https://247sports.com/mlb/orioles/

I assume cbs sports would handle most of the administrative and site maintenance stuff that needs to be handled now. They would also probably handle the payment processing and allow you to have a premium message board and charge $9.99/month or $99/year to get behind the paywall.

I believe the content that you and Luke bring definitely warrant that rate.

10 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Just take 2020 off and come back fresh when the O’s are respectable again.

Yeah, I think this is good advice.  If TonyOH can delegate his duties for the year it would be helpful.  I am sure if the Orioles become competitive again site traffic will increase and it will be more exciting to run the site with the games actually being fun to watch.  

Really hard to get a lot of discussion going these days with us virtually eliminated on May 1st.  

After lurking for many years, I became a paying member of the board last year. May seem counterintuitive as the team is at its worst in some time, but this board keeps the fan in me alive and makes it more fun to follow the struggling team.

While not a fund drive, I would suggest making the costs of running the site more transparent, even if it's just top line items to give everyone here a sense of what is needed to keep this ship running. Many would probably find an extra $20-30 a year to kick in if its what it takes to keep this gem going. 

• Thanks 1

I rarely post since I'd have little to add above and beyond all the incredibly knowledgeable posters on this board. With that said, this has been my go to site for O's news since I moved away from Maryland in 2003.  I log on daily to get my O's fix, and I appreciate all the well thought, informative posts this site has to offer.  Certainly, I would miss OH if it were to fade away into history, but I just wanted to express my gratitude to Tony and all of the contributors here that keep me connected to my hometown team 16 years after I move to Yankee / Red Sox battleground territory.  Whichever way you choose to proceed, I am extremely grateful for the many years I've been able to stay connected to my roots here on OH!!  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks, but one of the reason I never moved to one of those networks is that I didn't want to charge people that kind of money. Trust me, I feel bad enough about plus memberships and prefer to have ads make this place completely free. 

There is a just a lot behind the scenes that goes on with ad networks bugging me with e-mails, our ad networks adding in crap ads that cause people problems (and then I get hammered for them), upgrades and patches on the message board constantly, and then add in we have a ton of new people in the organization and I'm not sure I have the time and energy to renew my contacts and sources.

Mike Elias has been great with allowing me access to him (More access I've had with a GM since Flanagan/Duquette) but last year was a struggle to get information out of the minor leagues with some people ignoring my texts and others telling me to go to the PR department for easy information. Last year, I spent my own money to spend an extra day to go down to Sarastoa to see the GCL players about a week before their games started and was told to go through the PR department who then told me I could have "fan access" to the players. After doing this for 24 years and having full season credentials to Camden Yards since 2002, that was a slap in the face and told me what the new PR folks think of me and the site.

Some times you have to read the tea leaves to understand when your run is up. Typically when I would get ignored I'd work doubly hard to develop a relationship elsewhere, but honestly, I just don't have that drive anymore when it comes to this. I'm at a point in my real career where I have a lot of responsibility and influence over very senior people in the government (The part not effected by poisonous politics)  yet the PR team is treating me like a fan? Maybe it's a bit of ego or maybe it's because I feel like I've earned more respect than that, but that has left a major bad taste in my mouth.

I guess I feel my time, like many people in this organization over the years, may be up. I really don't know. I'm just trying to be as open and honest with you all since I respect each and every one of you. 

Weams has always made things as easy as possible for me and Luke has been breath of fresh air for me and the site, and has taken a lot of burden that I felt to keep you all up to date and answer questions. Without them, and Shane from a technical side, this site doesn't continue.

Honestly, the business and technical side is more of the pain then anything else. I can do a ton of scouting at home on my laptop sitting in my recliner while watching the Orioles game, but I feel like I'm not doing my due diligence if I don't get out more and talk with more folks like in the past. 

Thanks again for the notes of support.

This seems like the PR department now is not on the ball. Cancelling Fanfest and telling you could have "Fan Access" to the players shows they don't know what they are doing.  Perhaps since you have interviewed Elias and have some contact with him he could help you get press credentials.  I think they are underestimating how much people rely on the internet sites for information to sports team.

Really the only other source of information is MASN and that is like reading propaganda more than real information.  

I can see where you are coming from here. You are providing free marketing for the team and have been for years, and they treat you like you are just a fan who has a blog that no one reads.