Coco Crisp walks on a 3-ball count

Enjoy Terror

Did anyone see Coco Crisp, on Monday night, take a 3-ball walk?

Here is a link to a video of the whole top half of the inning.

It really didn't matter in the grand scheme of the game, but I thought it was interesting that NOBODY caught it.

Any chance that there was an automatic ball called during the at bat that not many people (i.e. cameras) noticed? For example if the pitcher touched his hand to his mouth, the umpire can call a ball.

Any chance that there was an automatic ball called during the at bat that not many people (i.e. cameras) noticed? For example if the pitcher touched his hand to his mouth, the umpire can call a ball.

Well Palmer and Hunter talked about it and showed the entire AB. They counted three balls and compared them to the scoreboard. So they basically said that it must have been that one of the "strikes" that the scoreboard had wasn't actually strike and had been called a ball. Who knows? But it did lead to a classic Palmer quote when they were showing the AB. They showed "ball 3" and Crisp going to first and Palmer said something like, "Ball 3, your a Red Sock take your base".:D

I'm pretty sure later in the game that Hunter made reference to the fact that he may have gotten hit or something like that. I don't remember exactly what it was, but they did give an explanation of it late int he game.

Not according to the PBP at ESPN. Crisp had 4 PAs: 2 AB, 1 H, and 2 BB. He had a bunt single in the 2nd and struck out to end the top of the 4th.

Boston - Top of 7th, Jeremy Guthrie pitching for Baltimore

Coco Crisp Ball, Strike (looking), Ball, Strike (bunted foul), Ball, Foul, Ball, C Crisp walked

Boston - Top of 8th, Rocky Cherry pitching for Baltimore

Coco Crisp Strike (looking), Ball, Strike (foul), Ball, Ball, Ball, C Crisp walked

Not that box scores and play-by-play accounts are always accurate, any more than scoreboard operators are always in synch with the home plate umpire.

Archived