Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

I'm alright with this deal.  Don't hate it, don't love it.  It's just alright.

I will say with Elias at the helm along with Sig and his mighty gang, I feel that deals like this have a bit more upside than anything DD or any previous regime would have done.  I'm not saying that there's an analytics magic wand that they can wave and make fringe guys like this good, but there's a better chance now than ever.

To anyone that's upset about this move, once again, you've seriously overrated the talent on this team and what the market is calling for.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm alright with this deal.  Don't hate it, don't love it.  It's just alright.

I will say with Elias at the helm along with Sig and his mighty gang, I feel that deals like this have a bit more upside than anything DD or any previous regime would have done.  I'm not saying that there's an analytics magic wand that they can wave and make fringe guys like this good, but there's a better chance now than ever.

To anyone that's upset about this move, once again, you've seriously overrated the talent on this team and what the market is calling for.

Exactly. Unless anyone can show there was a better offer out there, this was the best we can get for Villar minus $10,000,000.

1 hour ago, weams said:

When he's talking about Mason McCoy as a possibility, you know there's a serious talent problem.  If Addison Russell ends up in 
Baltimore (not that there's any rumors yet), that'll likely create pr problems in addition to talent problems.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

What do you call a team with a low payroll who cuts a guy because he might cost 3-5 more million a year? What do you call a team that insists on keeping their $20 million plus albatross on the roster but gives away it's 28-year old middle infielder coming off a 4-win season?

If they release Davis they owe him over $20M this year and $60M+ in total.  A Davis trade is essentially impossible unless they take on someone else's dumpster fire of a massive contract, so nothing they do is going to get them out from under his deal.

Non-tender or trade Villar and they owe him nothing.  They save about $10M that, at least in theory, can go to rebuilding the organization.

It may be cold and calculating, but it benefits the team's financial ledger and doesn't change their odds of making the postseason (goes from 0% to 0%) in the one remaining year Villar would have been here.

In my opinion, this makes it pretty clear that the league valued Villar's production about equally to what he's going to get paid.  So about zero surplus value, which is why they got an org guy for him.  I have to assume Elias has been trying to trade him all year and didn't get offers of much more than this.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'd put this trade in the Gausman/O'Day salary dump category.

That was a great trade for the O's. Dollar savings aside, Zimmermann is a legit prospect and the O's got a lot more for Gausman than the Braves did when they dumped him and, most recently, when the Reds dumped him.  I'm hoping this trade works out equally as well.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Lucas has some interesting traits, but the stuff is pretty blah, average slider, everything else fringe. Average command, strikethower, including his offspeed pitches. The changeup inconsistent but could get to average as well. Gets some hop on his fastball, so it plays a little above it’s sitting velocity of 89-91, but it’s going to have trouble playing in the upper minors without some improvements. 

The body and delivery are better than the stuff and he’s missed serious time fairly recently, so there could be more stuff in the tank. 

As a total package, it’s like Bruce Zimmermann with a bit more ceiling but significantly more proximity risk. Would be somewhere in the 31-40 range of Orioles prospects for me. He’s better than his draft status but nothing to be excited about.

Where would you slot him among (1) our 2019 draft picks, and (2) our Aberdeen/GCL pitchers?    There’s a lot of overlap there, obviously.   

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

That would be the other option and a complete failure of reporting by Roch, Trezza, Connolly. The only reason I don’t think that is what happened is because someone I trust who would know told me that he was in fact on waivers.

Per Dubroff, he was claimed about 3 or 4 hours before 8 pm deadline.  I thought the time was 1 pm?

"About three or four hours ahead of the 8 p.m. deadline for tendering 2020 contracts, the Orioles began getting some interest in Jonathan Villar, and with time growing short, they completed a trade with the Miami Marlins on Monday night."

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/12/03/elias-trading-villar-going-miss-right-move/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think that many guys are used in that fashion.

When you're 23, haven't played full-season ball, and throw with your left hand you can be pretty sure someone's whispering in your ear to drop down sidearm and learn a frisbee curve.  At least prior to the three-batter rule.  There are more than a trivial number of pitchers with 8-year careers who have platoon splits of .550/.875.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lord willing.

I'm patiently waiting from them to overturn the "must face one batter" rule, so we can get to more mid-batter pitching changes.  Now I'll occasionally wake up at 10:30 and am surprised by baseball being on the TV instead of the Stanley Steamer commercial.  Can't have that.