Adam Jones signs 2-year deal with Orix Buffaloes

MurphDogg

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, atomic said:

I wonder why salaries are so low in Japan. They have good attendance and rich country.  Maybe the TV desks aren’t lucrative.  It would be interesting if they started signing star players in their prime from mlb.

It is curious.  NPB has a higher average attendance than MLB, and the second highest total attendance of any sports league in the world.  I see Chewbacca's post about market-rate rent on stadiums, which isn't insignificant, but probably not the primary reason.

I think part of it is that traditionally the baseball teams have been run as promotional arms of their parent company.  Nippon Ham uses the Fighters to promote sales of their products, maybe to the detriment of maximizing revenues for the baseball team.  Perhaps Nippon Ham gets the most lucrative advertising spots at the stadium and during telecasts.

I also don't know how TV operates in Japan.  MLB is able to extract huge sums from cable and satellite TV through mandatory fees for RSNs.  It wouldn't be at all surprising if another country made that kind of thing illegal.  Little old ladies in Japan who only watch old movies and talk shows may not be subsidizing the Fukuoka Hawks.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It is curious.  NPB has a higher average attendance than MLB, and the second highest total attendance of any sports league in the world.  I see Chewbacca's post about market-rate rent on stadiums, which isn't insignificant, but probably not the primary reason.

I think part of it is that traditionally the baseball teams have been run as promotional arms of their parent company.  Nippon Ham uses the Fighters to promote sales of their products, maybe to the detriment of maximizing revenues for the baseball team.  Perhaps Nippon Ham gets the most lucrative advertising spots at the stadium and during telecasts.

I also don't know how TV operates in Japan.  MLB is able to extract huge sums from cable and satellite TV through mandatory fees for RSNs.  It wouldn't be at all surprising if another country made that kind of thing illegal.  Little old ladies in Japan who only watch old movies and talk shows may not be subsidizing the Fukuoka Hawks.

How much do tickets cost?  Maybe, in Japan, you don't have to take out a second mortgage to take your family to a ballgame.

38 minutes ago, Number5 said:

How much do tickets cost?  Maybe, in Japan, you don't have to take out a second mortgage to take your family to a ballgame.

On the Yomiuri Giants site it looks like reserved seats are between 3000 and 5500 yen, or roughly $30-50.  Which is pretty comparable to an Orioles game. The Orioles are still among the cheaper tickets in MLB.