The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

11 hours ago, Philip said:

The entire Astros playoff roster should forfeit their playoff money for 2017.

Player punishment won't occur.  Red Sox Championship season violations are the two time loser on this and  they are likely to get slammed. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

Player punishment won't occur.  Red Sox Championship season violations are the two time loser on this and  they are likely to get slammed. 

I’m not sure I understand your comment. You’re suggesting that the Astros will not be punished and the Red Sox will be? Or you’re suggesting that the organization will be penalized but the players will not be?

Just now, Philip said:

I’m not sure I understand your comment. You’re suggesting that the Astros will not be punished and the Red Sox will be? Or you’re suggesting that the organization will be penalized but the players will not be?

Both organizations will be punished. No players will be punished. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like Cora will get punished for both teams.

The Red Sox named Astros bench coach Alex Cora their new manager after the World Series concluded, and The Athletic reported Cora “played a key role in devising the sign-stealing system the Astros used in 2017.”

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/01/08/hoornstra-mlb-punishing-alleged-sign-stealers-is-more-difficult-than-banging-a-trash-can/

Just now, weams said:

The politics of the Red Sox and Astros situations allow Manfred to err on the side of severity – and simultaneously guard against future acts of espionage. Lifetime bans aren’t out of the question, as Dodgers pitcher Kenley Jansen suggested in November. The only question should be who gets them.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2020/01/08/alex-cora-red-sox-sign-stealing-punishment

Cora’s supreme confidence in himself carried over to thinking he could flout an explicit directive, too. It wasn’t as smooth a system as the Houston one: Player in the replay room, to dugout, to a baserunner, to the hitter. It had, in The Athletic’s words, “a semblance of propriety” because it required some of the elements of legal, accepted, between-the-lines sign stealing. And, the report notes, it was largely rendered moot in the 2018 postseason when rightly paranoid teams frequently changed signs and — in its classic “we’re totally serious about this now, gang” manner — baseball actually assigned monitors to the replay room.

No matter. You know nuance needn’t apply in these cases, which, honestly, I can’t really even say I’m bothered by here. I’m certain Alex Cora isn’t the only guy who scoffed back in March, told, “Electronic equipment, including game feeds in the Club replay room and/or video room, may never be used during a game for the purpose of stealing the opposing team’s signs.”

He is, however, the one who got caught.

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred announced an unprecedented level of discipline against the Astros organization Monday in the wake of the sign-stealing scandal that many feel has called into question the legitimacy of their 2017 World Series victory. President of baseball operations/general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch will both be suspended for one year.

The Astros will also lose their first- and second-round picks in each of the next two seasons and be fined the maximum $5MM that is allowable under the league’s constitution. If the team does not have a first- or second-round selection in either draft — due to draft forfeitures for signing a free agent, for instance — they’ll lose that pick in the subsequent year’s draft. Per Manfred’s report on the investigation, the Astros “will forfeit two regular first round selections and two regular second round selections in total,” whether they come in 2020-21 or in later seasons.

Punishment stemming from the 2017 sign-stealing scandal won’t stop with the Astros organization, either. ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports that “harsh” punishment will be levied against Red Sox manager Alex Cora as well for the role he played in the now-infamous “trash can” setup. Cora was the Astros’ bench coach at the time but was hired by the Red Sox in the 2017-18 offseason, and Manfred’s report leaves little doubt that he’ll be sanctioned heavily.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/