Roch: O's close on MiLB deal for catcher

interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sorta glad it wasn't Caleb, though I like Caleb. Just sayin. 

I would love to have Caleb back, I think he has something to offer, not just now but in the future. But if his time is done, He had an enviable career and leaves the game with lots of money and lots of memories.

32 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure what he brings? He doesn’t hit, but that’s OK. But his defense, according to the article, isn’t anything special except for his ability to block pitches.

I wonder why he won the raffle?

I don’t know, but he’s a pretty experienced backup C who has seen time in the majors every year from 2012-19, so he must have something going for him.    Not a bad guy to have off the 40-man roster who can be brought up if necessary.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know, but he’s a pretty experienced backup C who has seen time in the majors every year from 2012-19, so he must have something going for him.    Not a bad guy to have off the 40-man roster who can be brought up if necessary.    

I’m not complaining about the choice, just wondering whether he’s the guy they specifically wanted, and if so, why, or he was just the first warm body willing to take the deal, while the others are holding out for better.

Maybe it’s just optimism, but every time we pick up someone, I ask myself what Mike & The Gang see in this kid that everyone else has missed.

Just now, Philip said:

I’m not complaining about the choice, just wondering whether he’s the guy they specifically wanted, and if so, why, or he was just the first warm body willing to take the deal, while the others are holding out for better.

Maybe it’s just optimism, but every time we pick up someone, I ask myself what Mike & The Gang see in this kid that everyone else has missed.

I think they just wanted a warm body veteran catcher who would agree to sign a minor league deal. I doubt there's a ton of homework done on Holaday other than they know he's been around and maybe he's well-regarded as a decent defensive catcher. He's there in case Sisco craters in ST, basically. The O's simply check this depth box off and move along.

Next up: another SP, someone with defensive CF experience, and a bullpen arm. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

Maybe he's a guy known for putting a little extra effort into helping a young pitching staff (meaning at AAA). 

I remember watching him at TCU so I hope he does well. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think they just wanted a warm body veteran catcher who would agree to sign a minor league deal. I doubt there's a ton of homework done on Holaday other than they know he's been around and maybe he's well-regarded as a decent defensive catcher. He's there in case Sisco craters in ST, basically. The O's simply check this depth box off and move along.

Next up: another SP, someone with defensive CF experience, and a bullpen arm. 

Do we really need someone with defensive CF experience?    We have Mason Williams on a MiL deal, Cedric Mullins on the 40-man roster, and Ryan McKenna presumably in AAA.    That seems like enough.    

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do we really need someone with defensive CF experience?    We have Mason Williams on a MiL deal, Cedric Mullins on the 40-man roster, and Ryan McKenna presumably in AAA.    That seems like enough.    

What did McKenna do at AA to warrant a promotion?

Williams and Wilkerson should be enough CF backup.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You may be right. But I don't see Wilkerson as a legitimate backup CFer. Plus I think Mullins has too much to prove after last year and will begin the year in AA. 

So I could see Williams battling it out in ST with an as-of-yet acquired CFer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

Will Wilkerson even make the team out of spring? I can see him DFA'd.

I think we like Wilkerson's stick against RHP, but I don't know where he gets into the lineup at.  I guess he could play 2B and some OF, with being the backup CF if he's on the 25 man roster.  With the addition of Urena, and if Mason Williams has a big ST, then Wilkerson could be on the outside looking in.  

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we like Wilkerson's stick against RHP, but I don't know where he gets into the lineup at.  I guess he could play 2B and some OF, with being the backup CF if he's on the 25 man roster.  With the addition of Urena, and if Mason Williams has a big ST, then Wilkerson could be on the outside looking in.  

I don't think that's a good enough reason to carry him on the roster. We should be prioritizing defense and upside over a guy who is 28, kinda hits righties, and doesn't excel at any one position on the field.