Orioles Sign Catcher Bryan Holaday

weams

Solid backup catcher option. At 32-years old, he's no threat to needing playing time, but he can effectively backup a starter if an injury occurs with Severino or Sisco. He's coming off his best offensive year last year but historically doesn't bring much value with the stick. 

Overall, he's probably a bit better than Wynns but having both if AAA increases the depth.

• Upvote 4

• weams changed the title to Orioles Sign Catcher Bryan Holaday
4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Tony, what do you think Sisco's chances are of making the OD roster? Any word on what he's been doing this offseason?

I think there is little doubt he makes the OD roster. He has nothing left to prove at AAA beside getting better defensively and there is no reason he can't do that with the Orioles coaching, especially since winning is not priority yet. 

I have no idea what he's been doing this offseason besides what was reported.

Roch Kubatko MASN

Holaday has thrown out 30 percent of runners in his career and nabbed 17 of 38 (45 percent) in 2018. He’s also appeared in two games at second base and one each at first base and third base and in left field.

If the Orioles run short of emergency pitchers, Holaday has logged 3 2/3 innings over four appearances on the mound and allowed three runs and four hits.

Holaday, who won the Johnny Bench Award as the best collegiate catcher in his senior season, is going to compete with Pedro Severino, Chance Sisco and Austin Wynns for a spot on the opening day roster. Severino is out of options and the most likely to stay.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think there is little doubt [Sisco] makes the OD roster. He has nothing left to prove at AAA beside getting better defensively and there is no reason he can't do that with the Orioles coaching, especially since winning is not priority yet. 

I have no idea what he's been doing this offseason besides what was reported.

Especially since Hyde, Cossins and now Fredi Gonzalez all have a catching background.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

He had a higher OPS (.771) than Sisco (.729) or Severino (.740) last year.  That was an outlier for him, but still, seems like a good #3.  

His .771 OPS last year is flying under the radar a little bit. I know catchers are susceptible to SSS in a season. It’s the nature of being a backup C, but the OPS it what it is. 

Holaday had reverse splits last year,

.831 OPS vs RHP 

.637 OPS vs LHP

He’s also around 100 OPS pts higher in his career when facing same side P.

If Sisco is still tinkering with his swing, then I see no problem sending him to AAA and letting him play 80% of the time instead of 40%-50% up here to start the season. It sounds strange to send Sisco down to work on his offense, but there’s nothing wrong with that.

To me Wynns is a good story, but he’s 29, and should be DFAd. He’d likely clear. He also won’t likely here in 2023 when we’re competing. He’ll be the same age then as the ancient Caleb Joseph is now. 

Edited by sportsfan8703