Adley Rutschman Gets Major League Camp Invite

LTO's

4 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Even if Rutschman balls out during ST, proving he's the best major league catcher the Os currently have, he's not going to make the team because the Os are rebuilding.   Situations like this should be addressed at the next CBA 

Not because they're rebuilding. It because he's not ready for the bigs yet. I agree with those who think 2020 is out of the question. He'll be up in 21 sometime.

He's also got to get to minor league camp to get to know all those guys too. He knows some of them, played 3 levels last year. He has some good young pitchers to learn down there.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Not because they're rebuilding. It because he's not ready for the bigs yet. I agree with those who think 2020 is out of the question. He'll be up in 21 sometime.

He's also got to get to minor league camp to get to know all those guys too. He knows some of them, played 3 levels last year. He has some good young pitchers to learn down there.

Adley needs to learn how to call games in the minors and hone his defense. Even the best college catching prospect needs some time in the minor leagues no matter how ready the bat is. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Adley needs to learn how to call games in the minors and hone his defense. Even the best college catching prospect needs some time in the minor leagues no matter how ready the bat is. 

Exactly! He has a half year of professional baseball under his belt.

5 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

With all the supposed Analytics why can't there be a system based on College or HS draftee, what round they were drafted in, and the projected time to ML arrival? 

That’s what Sig does. It’s not like analytics is confined to what we can get. It’s not like WAR. 

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

The bold would seem like an argue not to invite Rutschman.   I am glad he has been invited though.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think being in ML camp hurt either one of them from a development standpoint?

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

On the other hand,  I don't see either one as a good reason to invite Rutschman.   The reason is to get him accustom to the major league personnel and environment.   That is true in spite for Wieters and Guasman not reaching their potential.

I don’t think there’s the slightest connection between the O’s inviting Wieters and Gausman to major league camp the year after they were drafted, and their failure to live up to their hype as major leaguers.    Do I think it helped them in their major league careers?   Not materially.     At most, it gave the team a chance to assess how close they were to being able to compete at the major league level.

Here’s a bit of nostalgia from 2013 spring training:

“Dylan Bundy, the O's No. 1 prospect, looks like he's ready right now after posting a 1.13 ERA in his four outings. No. 2 prospect Kevin Gausman has at times looked dominating, with 11 strikeouts in his 10.1 innings of work with a 3.48 ERA.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1567584-mlb-spring-training-2013-all-30-mlb-teams-mid-march-status-report.amp.html

This was before Bundy hurt his elbow and needed TJ surgery.   

• Upvote 1

The team contexts are night and day of course, but reviewing Gausman's speed to the show it was faster than I remembered.  1-4 in the 2012 draft and MLB debut on 5.23.2013.  In 2013, it was 8 games at Bowie and 8 at Norfolk, many of which while he was yo-yo'ing.  

Rutschman's mano-a-mano challenge this year is to rival Wander Franco for who will be the division's alpha dog in a few years (and incidentally next year's #1 overall prospect).

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

The team contexts are night and day of course, but reviewing Gausman's speed to the show it was faster than I remembered.  1-4 in the 2012 draft and MLB debut on 5.23.2013.  In 2013, it was 8 games at Bowie and 8 at Norfolk, many of which while he was yo-yo'ing.  

Rutschman's mano-a-mano challenge this year is to rival Wander Franco for who will be the division's alpha dog in a few years (and incidentally next year's #1 overall prospect).

Just think how fast they would have promoted him if he had possessed a third pitch.

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a bit of nostalgia from 2013 spring training:

Dylan Bundy, the O's No. 1 prospect, looks like he's ready right now after posting a 1.13 ERA in his four outings. No. 2 prospect Kevin Gausman has at times looked dominating, with 11 strikeouts in his 10.1 innings of work with a 3.48 ERA.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1567584-mlb-spring-training-2013-all-30-mlb-teams-mid-march-status-report.amp.html

This was before Bundy hurt his elbow and needed TJ surgery.   

I'm hoping for same from Cobb and Valdez this year!  ⚾

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

What are you looking for out of Rutschman this year?  What are you expecting?

I'm expecting him not to get promoted to AAA so they have a convenient excuse to game his service time in 2021.

I'm also expecting slightly disappointing numbers at the plate (relative to the hype). 

• Upvote 1