MASNSteve: Orioles Draft Process

weams

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/06/a-closer-look-at-the-os-draft-preparations-with-video.html

Good article and (I am told) pretty accurate from an insider perspective. "A good window into the process"  

“So, we don’t take the makeup aspect lightly here. We make sure we do our due diligence. We make sure that they have the traits that we’re looking for as far as being competitive, but also have the growth mindset of the work they need to put in to get to the next level. It’s pretty interesting even what a 20-minute Zoom call can tell you about how guys are wired and what makes them tick. Ultimately, we are looking for those guys that despise losing and are wired the correct way so we can turn this around at all levels of our organization.”

And then there is the analytic component for the Orioles. Since the 2019 draft concluded they’ve added five scouting analysts. The scouts provide their game reports and the scouting analysts look at large amounts of data.

“We have guys (as scouting analysts) that are very bright and have a background in scouting,” said Ciolek. “It’s kind of the best of both worlds. They are able to look through the scout lens and also the analytics lens. And weigh both of those to come to a conclusion on a player. It’s definitely made a significant impact in our process.

“A lot of their work comes in handy in analyzing data sets that we get. Whether it’s TrackMan data or batted-ball data from college or high school games or tournaments over the summer.”

The analysts also develop models to make performance projections, attempting to predict what type of talent a player may become in the future.

“They work hand in hand with our analytics team and work on things like coming up with a model, and then we talk amongst ourselves as a group,” Ciolek added. “We try to figure out - do we have concerns with this? Do we like guys as high as the model spits out or do we like them lower? It’s a good conversation, a good dialogue. It gives a baseline to work from.”

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, weams said:

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/06/a-closer-look-at-the-os-draft-preparations-with-video.html

Good article and (I am told) pretty accurate from an insider perspective. "A good window into the process"  

“So, we don’t take the makeup aspect lightly here. We make sure we do our due diligence. We make sure that they have the traits that we’re looking for as far as being competitive, but also have the growth mindset of the work they need to put in to get to the next level. It’s pretty interesting even what a 20-minute Zoom call can tell you about how guys are wired and what makes them tick. Ultimately, we are looking for those guys that despise losing and are wired the correct way so we can turn this around at all levels of our organization.”

For me, this screams Austin Martin. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

Elias says he will pick the best player at #2 in this interview.  Doesn't sound like he will go underslot with #2.

I just listen to three Orioles Magic the Podcast  sessions with Elias, McDonald and Jim Palmer.   All very interesting.

McDonald has seen Austin Martin many times as he broadcast SEC games.   He says Martin can really run which is different from what I have heard up to this point.  I have read and heard he is an above average runner.   Ben also questions if Martin has the arm to play on the left side of the infield or in center.   

Ben is high on Hayes in CF.  Thinks he can be special there and at the plate.

Corbin said Martin is a really good base runner.  Smart and good first to third or 2nd to home.   But Corbin hedges a little when talking about Martin in center.  He says he can play there because he is smart and gets good jumps which ins different from saying he is fast.  Corbin seems to favor Martin as a 2B in the majors and IMO opinion says he can play CF and 3B if that is where the team needs him.

Just a side note... one of these 5 he is talking about is surely Eric-OH. :)

And then there is the analytic component for the Orioles. Since the 2019 draft concluded they’ve added five scouting analysts. The scouts provide their game reports and the scouting analysts look at large amounts of data.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, weams said:

Not Eric but someone else. 

On the one hand I really miss Luke’s prospects analyses leading up to the draft. On the other hand it’s hard to complain since his absence at OH means the Orioles have a better shot at picking the best prospects this week. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, scOtt said:

Just a side note... one of these 5 he is talking about is surely Eric-OH. :)

From Orioles.com:

Scouting Analyst: Hendrik Herz

Scouting Analyst: Chad Tatum

Scouting Analyst: Alex Tarandek

Scouting Analyst: Kevin Carter

Scouting Analyst: Ryan Carlson

Scouting Analyst Consultant: Luke Siler

I’m pretty sure Hendrik Herz is not new to the organization, so I guess that makes Luke one of the five they added even though he’s “merely” a consultant.

• Thanks 1

Not to brown nose... but this just shows the quality of the content here on The Hangout. 2 guys (frequent and important posters) hired by the Orioles' Analytical Dept. And you just KNOW there are more lurking in the wings!

And Roy Firestone. And Tony! He deserves a ton of credit, for his knowledge and insight. BESIDES starting the Hangout. 35 years ago or whatever...

• Upvote 1