NEW 60 GAME Proposal [Baseball is Back!]

weams

2 hours ago, atomic said:

So the Blue Jays have shut down their facilities in Florida as they have a player with symptoms.   Seems like baseball chance of happening this season are remote.  

Sadly, I think you are correct.

6 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Manfred rejects players offer.  So we are still spinning the wheels instead of compromising.  

Every week that MLB puts this off while preserving playoffs is money in their pockets. I think they're shooting for 40 games, but will take anything under 50. 48 is a nice round number. That's about 25 to 30 percent of a full season's pay for each player, plus whatever they can wring out of the owners from playoff revenues.

It's also possible that the owners are putting on a show in order to make getting to zero games look good.

1 hour ago, rudyrooster said:

I'd say the odds of a 2020 MLB season are slim and none.....

How was it detected? When they showed up? If they had it outside of the complex and were detected upon arrival, I’m not sure I agree with your interpretation/response re: season chances 

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

How was it detected? When they showed up? If they had it outside of the complex and were detected upon arrival, I’m not sure I agree with your interpretation/response re: season chances 

Anyone know whether the Phils or BJs or Astros or whoever has had players infected were in some kind of bubble, or were they going shopping, eating in restaurants, going to bars, playing golf, hitting the gym -- whatever you do in June spring training -- in public?

4 hours ago, weams said:

At this point I don’t know who the bad guy is. 70 games (like many of the players proposals) seemed unrealistic at this point. Just take the 60, maybe you don’t end up the alpha but people don’t hate you.

9 minutes ago, survivedc said:

At this point I don’t know who the bad guy is. 70 games (like many of the players proposals) seemed unrealistic at this point. Just take the 60, maybe you don’t end up the alpha but people don’t hate you.

I don't think MLB would have played 60 games. If the union had agreed to that, MLB would have come up with a bunch of other issues that would have delayed things by a couple of weeks (or more), making 60 games impractical in light of the problem with playing into the fall. We're headed for a "regular" season of 40s/50 games or zero.

Call the union trusting, naive or foolish , but when it agreed in March not to seek more than the portion of their salaries represented by the number of games played, they essentially ceded control over the number of games to the owners. The Commissioner and the owners have used that power ruthlessly. That's their right (unless they've violated some contract obligation in doing so), but it's sure not in the best interests of the game or its fans.  

• Upvote 1

And what a terrible position to put fans in. I want to show my displeasure but how can I? I’m desperate to be back in the stadium, should I just boo the whole time? Hopefully other fans are stronger than me and stay away.

The league-wide shutdown is pretty significant. I'm suspecting the owners don't want to play this year anyway, so they could use this to really play hardball.

It's not even really about the players, though: most/many are young and healthy and would quite likely be asymptomatic. The issue is the admin staffs, coaches, umps, all their families. Unless you put the players in a nigh literal bubble - and look at the NBA negotiations to see how that's being received - then this probably isn't going to work, what with the current risk tolerance.

I'm having a hard time seeing MLB played this year. I'll be ecstatic to be wrong.

• Thanks 1