Kjerstad comes in at #99 on BA Top 100

Sir_Loin

So I read the draft as if the O’s by taking Kjerstad were able to get three guys they coveted whereas if they had taken a Martin probably really would have gotten just the one guy they really coveted. Only time will tell if it was the right move but I like it. Martin would really have to be elite and viewEd head and shoulders above Kjerstad to take him there. the O’s must not of thought so and see more value in who they ended up with. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

So I read the draft as if the O’s buy taking Kjerstad were able to get three guys they coveted whereas if they had taken a Martin probably really would have gotten just one guy they really coveted. Only time will tell of it was the right move but I like it. Martin would really have to be elite and views head and shoulders above Kjerstad to take him there and the i’s must not of thought so and see more value in who they ended up with. 

I would hope that with the #30 and #39 picks they could have found someone they coveted.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would hope that with the #30 and #39 picks they could have found someone they coveted.

Very true and I believe they did. My word could of been a little different I think honestly by going underslot selecting Kjerstad it allowed them to get two guys they coveted in the 4th and 5th, so they end up with 6 guys they really like. Whereas taking Martin probably would not if allowed them to get guys they valued as much in the later two rounds so the value you get buy taking Kjerstad nets you two additional guys you really like is IMO greater value and adds more talent to the system than if you take Martin who will eat up the money not allowing you to sign as great of talent in the later rounds.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Very true and I believe they did. My word could of been a little different I think honestly by going underslot selecting Kjerstad it allowed them to get two guys they coveted in the 4th and 5th, so they end up with 6 guys they really like. Whereas taking Martin probably would not if allowed them to get guys they valued as much in the later two rounds so the value you get buy taking Kjerstad nets you two additional guys you really like is IMO greater value and adds more talent to the system than if you take Martin who will eat up the money not allowing you to sign as great of talent in the later rounds.

It just seems that some people here can more about the guys picked in the fourth and fifth rounds than they do with the second and third picks.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t know that.

Kjerstad and Meyer could have been higher on the board for those teams.

I think the signing bonus to #4 and #5 rounders is pretty good proof. If Kjerstad is asking for #2 money they can’t overpay those 2 by 2.5 + million dollars! 

4 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I disagree with your logic.  Our GM did something similar at Houston and, by your logic, Carlos Correa would have been rated much farther below those who "might" have gone ahead of him.  Yet Correa was a highly regarded prospect immediately.

I think if the Os had Martin rated comfortably better than Kjerstad that we would have drafted Martin.  My guess is the Os had Kjerstad rated neglibibly below to higher than Martin; and we decided to go with Kjerstad and have significant $ for the rest of the draft.  As I have posted, it would not have surprised me if we had called Boras and asked if Martin would sign for around $7M (to free up $750k to spend later) and Boras likely responded that he wanted $8M for Martin.  

Anyway, I really don't care about the current rankings too much.  If Kjerstad produces in the minors for the next two seasons, he will be  a top 50 or better prospect soon enough.  If there is a day when Kjerstad passes Martin in the rankings and BA would do that as soon as it is obvious, we can brag about it then.  There is no reason for BA to do all of its research into the draft and then abandon the rankings so soon without any play.  If anything, the spot at 99 suggests that BA has given a nod to the Kjerstad and the Os.  It seems very possible that Kjerstad would not have been ranked if he had been drafted 10th to 12th.

Martin will be the better player....wait and see! Plus, if he’s asking for #2 money they can’t give those two guys 2.5 million Dollars. The math won’t work.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

After signing Westburg and Haskin today and if they sign Servideo to slot, the Os have would about 5.5M left in draft pool money.

Which would be 7th slot money. A sound compromise for selecting the 10th rated prospect with the second selection.

But everyone here thinks I’m wrong 

Just not the stupid media (rolls eyes)

There is speculation the Orioles chose Kjerstadbecause he would take an under-slot deal, allowing the club to spend more money on other selections. The Orioles later selected Mississippi State shortstop Jordan Westburg with the 30th overall pick.

https://pressboxonline.com/2020/06/11/orioles-gm-mike-elias-downplays-under-slot-motivation-behind-heston-kjerstad-pick/