Fake crowd noise

MurphDogg

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

EdPp0XaWsAIWZWR?format=png&name=900x900The cardboard fan situation is ... not great, in my opinion.

Not great?  NOT GREAT?  I don't know about you, but to me this is a completely understandable development in modern day America.  Hell, I already feel like I've been living in an epically bad Japanese reality series for almost four yea...uhhh...  four months now.  Actually I'd be more concerned if I wasn't seeing dumb stuff like this, given how easy it is to make convincing fake video nowadays.  

This looks like a decidedly grownup problem left to earnest seven year-olds to resolve and for that it deserves a standing ovation.  Never again will I ever accuse Rob Manfred of lacking imagination.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You think this was a Manfred idea?

I have no idea whose idea it was.  All I know is that I saw the image and my day was immediately five times brighter - I rarely look gift horses in the mouth.

Besides, when life tees up a nice, fat opportunity to take a cheap shot at Rob Manfred I'll be the first to admit that I'm not nearly strong enough to resist.

7 hours ago, 24fps said:

Not great?  NOT GREAT?  I don't know about you, but to me this is a completely understandable development in modern day America.  Hell, I already feel like I've been living in an epically bad Japanese reality series for almost four yea...uhhh...  four months now.  Actually I'd be more concerned if I wasn't seeing dumb stuff like this, given how easy it is to make convincing fake video nowadays.  

This looks like a decidedly grownup problem left to earnest seven year-olds to resolve and for that it deserves a standing ovation.  Never again will I ever accuse Rob Manfred of lacking imagination.

Deep faking David Hasselhoff into every seat would have been prohibitively expensive.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Deep faking David Hasselhoff into every seat would have been prohibitively expensive.

They could do something like the SGT Pepper cover.  Famous people throughout history switched up each game.  We could have fun guessing whom everyone is during the never ending blowouts we have to endure.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And a complete waste of good technology unless he was joined by the entire cast of Baywatch dressed for work.

I know you're making a joke, but it's hard to look at video post production today and not be reminded of Moore's Law.  The sort of design that fifteen years ago required $200k plus Autodesk workstations and skilled and expensive artists can now be done by community college sophomores with their laptops, After Effects and a subscription to Lynda.com.  No exaggeration.

You are correct if we only look at today, especially if we're talking about real-time generation of lots of fake people.  But check again next week. Then again in a month, and so on.  I don't think I'll ever get used to the speed at which digital technology evolves.

Right now we're talking about silly, trivial stuff, but in all seriousness, anyone who is genuinely concerned about the potential for abuse this kind of technology creates once it's cheap and in widespread use is definitely on to something.  It scares the hell out of me.

13 minutes ago, 24fps said:

And a complete waste of good technology unless he was joined by the entire cast of Baywatch dressed for work.

I know you're making a joke, but it's hard to look at video post production today and not be reminded of Moore's Law.  The sort of design that fifteen years ago required $200k plus Autodesk workstations and skilled and expensive artists can now be done by community college sophomores with their laptops, After Effects and a subscription to Lynda.com.  No exaggeration.

You are correct if we only look at today, especially if we're talking about real-time generation of lots of fake people.  But check again next week. Then again in a month, and so on.  I don't think I'll ever get used to the speed at which digital technology evolves.

Right now we're talking about silly, trivial stuff, but in all seriousness, anyone who is genuinely concerned about the potential for abuse this kind of technology creates once it's cheap and in widespread use is definitely on to something.  It scares the hell out of me.

I think LTT did this on a lark.

• Thanks 1

Gee, some of those fans have large heads, rivaling Bruce Bochy's 8 1/8.

In today's New York Post, Phil Mushnick. noting that both the Mets and Yankees will pipe in crowd noise from old games, asked whether? "Boston sucks" will be included. If we're going to have to listen to that, an "O-R-I-O-L-E-S" cheer led by Bill Hagy might be fun to listen to. https://nypost.com/2020/07/18/sports-tv-no-stranger-to-fooling-unsuspecting-viewers/

Mushnick also asked whether players will make curtain calls and tip their caps when they are cheered. It made me wonder; I have assumed there will be no opening day ceremonies without fans there to see them. Does anyone know whether teams have announced that one way or another? Hard to imagine the Yankees forgoing the chance for a ceremony, then selling some souvenir of it.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think LTT did this on a lark.

The lipsync is a disaster and the color match between face and neck could (easily) be better, but the rest of it is not too bad.  Certainly good enough for semi-distracted viewers watching on smart phones.

On 7/18/2020 at 1:27 PM, atomic said:

Someone would hack it and blast profanity through a 10000 zoom sessions at once.

Why?  But anyway, all the team needs to do is turn off one speaker.  That shouldn't be very difficult.