Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Ha, woops, I'll correct this. Just years of Fred Manfra, clearly. 

?

I think I saw another poster or two make the same mistake, which is why I was wondering if there was something going over my head, lol.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its just a game, and it could impact players for life. look like at Ed-Rod

Its not worth it.

They tried and it just didnt work out. 

#Walkaway.

I agree. I am not advocating that we continue. In the poll that was taken recently I suggested that we would not start up again at all.

The point is that if you’re going to start up you’ve got to have a reasonable process in place and it is very obvious that the greatest minds in baseball couldn’t come up with something that wasn’t a complete fiasco.

10 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I see your point, but the vast majority of players are indeed safer without than with playing. I expect that the vast majority of players quarantine and take precautions.

Then they should be able and be trusted to take precautions during the season given what we know at this point about transmission outdoors.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its not worth it.

#Walkaway.

And again, he caught it away from baseball, it's not particularly intellectually honest to use him as an example of the dangers of baseball activities. For that matter, had he never reported for baseball, then he might not be receiving the care he is now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Orioles heading home. No O's-Marlins games in Miami this week.

Makes sense considering the Fish are still in Philly.  That doesn't foreclose on the potential of an Orioles Marlins three game series at Camden Yards, assuming... well, assuming a lot of things.

6 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Makes sense considering the Fish are still in Philly.  That doesn't foreclose on the potential of an Orioles Marlins three game series at Camden Yards, assuming... well, assuming a lot of things.

Yep, trying not to get too far out over my skis in editing the title of the thread.

Presumably the whole team is tested today again and if nobody new tests positive and if the Marlins player pool is such that a reasonable 30-man roster could be constructed for tomorrow, and if MLB decides to say "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!", the Orioles and the Marlins could play a baseball game tomorrow in Baltimore. 

I think it is much more likely that all four games against the Marlins are bagged, but we are in uncharted (not unchartered, as Derek Jeter wrote) waters here.

14 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

And again, he caught it away from baseball, it's not particularly intellectually honest to use him as an example of the dangers of baseball activities. For that matter, had he never reported for baseball, then he might not be receiving the care he is now.

Thats not the point.

So all 14 Marlins got it away from Baseball?

The point is, there is dangers to catching covid, even if they treat you, there could be long term affects.

That was my point, and its not dishonest, its the truth, heart and lung issues have been found in healthy people after COVID crisis was over for them.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its not worth it.

#Walkaway.

Every time an athlete steps on the field there is risk involved.  Whether or not it is "worth it" is very difficult to define.

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I’m not 100% sure, but they did play the Braves before going to Philly. The same Braves team that had 2 catchers go on the COVID IL.

Fwiw, the 2 Braves catchers tested negative for Covid, but they sat out with flu-like symptoms.  

3 hours ago, makoman said:

Does anyone know if it's too late for players to opt out? Wouldn't be surprised if some were changing their mind right now especially if they were on the fence. Of course you might just wait and see what happens since there is greater than zero possibility the season falls apart in the next week.