What if this is the next O's contending team?

wildcard

This team is definitely showing resilience so far this season.  We won't stay above .500 for long, but thats ok because none of us expected anything close to that. My thoughts:

Our pitching is overperforming expectations.  This could be due to hitters not having their timing/eye down with fewer reps this spring/summer.  Guys like Milone and LeBlanc will get beaten up once hitters get more reps.

The stats so far don't do Austin Hays justice.  The numbers will come back around, he is too talented.  

Sisco is looking just fine, I don't get the hate from this board.  I like the patience at the plate he has shown in the limited sample size so far.  His confidence (which is his biggest weakness) will keep growing with good at bats.

Alberto is a hitting machine.  I really hope he spends the offseason getting in better shape. 

Mullins will have his moments with his speed, but he just doesn't have a big league bat.  I'm perfectly fine having him be a backup centerfielder/pinch runner for the next few years.

Valaika for some reason reminds me of Nate McLouth. Different positions obviously, but has the same scrappiness and athleticism.  

Rio Riuz just needs to keep doing what he's doing.  The long hair must be helping his confidence.

DJ Stewart just looks lost at bat.

If Nunez makes a career of out of hitting .250 with 30-40 home runs per year, can you really complain about that production from a DH?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

It's not.  If Cobb and Leblanc keep pitching alright then they'll be traded.  Same with any of the veteran guys in the bullpen. 

I'll give the team credit they play very hard but if the veteran pitchers get traded the staff becomes very young and will have growing pains.  If the start of the season has shown me anything so far, there's a possibility they found  diamonds in the rough with Rio, Alberto, and some of the bullpen guys like Sulser, Lakins, even Scott has looked better. 

How willl we the fans react when if we are sitting in a playoff position at the end of the month and they trade away our two best pitchers? Normally the season ticket holders would have a right to be irate but what if no one is paying to play? I hate when teams tank while still in contention for the postseason but we saw it last year and Elias is likely to think, "Even if we get into a best of 3 postseason, the odds of us running the table are next to zero." Personally, I love playoff baseball and want to see it but many seem to view the WSeries title as the only goal.

Just now, Rojo13 said:

How willl we the fans react when if we are sitting in a playoff position at the end of the month and they trade away our two best pitchers? Normally the season ticket holders would have a right to be irate but what if no one is paying to play? I hate when teams tank while still in contention for the postseason but we saw it last year and Elias is likely to think, "Even if we get into a best of 3 postseason, the odds of us running the table are next to zero." Personally, I love playoff baseball and want to see it but many seem to view the WSeries title as the only goal.

How will we the fans react if they kill the season in the next couple of days and decide to use the 2020 standings for the 2021 draft?  Now selecting twenty second, the Baltimore Orioles...

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How will we the fans react if they kill the season in the next couple of days and decide to use the 2020 standings for the 2021 draft?  Now selecting twenty second, the Baltimore Orioles...

Like the 1994 Expos fans, we'll have glorious memories of the winning season of 2020, and wonder sadly about what could have been.   The Valaika walkoff, Alberto spraying line drives all over the place, Sulser's saves.   We will regale our grandchildren with tails of the heroics of the 2020 Orioles.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

I'm not sure Elias cares about fan's feelings. They could always spin it as giving young guys like Kremer, Zimmerman, or Akin a chance in the rotation.  Or they could try to nake trades for someone that could help now and later like a blocked prospect or something. 

I personally think it would be dumb to not cash in on Leblanc or Cobb if someone's willing to give you good value for them.