What if this is the next O's contending team?

wildcard

Yea, yea SSS, too early and all that.

2 of 3 from the Red Sox.  Should have split with the Yankees if the ump was better.   And now at least 2 of 3 from Tampa.   Maybe we can't call this team a contender yet but it does deserve the chance to be a contender.    Three starters look like they will be good.  There are a group of relievers that look good.   The offense is scoring at least 5 most games.  The defense looks much tighter.

However, Elias made it clear in his most recent video explaining the Bleier trade that his focus is  on the future not the present team.  I think trading Bleier was a logical move sometime this season.   But trading him a week into the season when the team is still contending was a radical move.   The timing was radical.   

Normally a GM sees what his team is doing verse its competition and either adds or subtracts about half through the season.  He gives the team a chance to show what it can do.  Then makes moves accordingly.   Elias did not do that.   He didn't wait three weeks to see how his team was doing.  We saw the results last night.  Bleier has been a good setup pitcher in the 8th over his O's career.   Last night the Rays tied the game by scoring three in the 8th.   That is just the first example of missing Bleier.

There is no way to know if this team is the next contending team.  I hope Elias gives them a chance.

Here is Elias presser about the trade of Bleier:

https://www.masnsports.com/videos/2020/08/mike-elias-on-the-orioles-recent-roster-moves.html

• Upvote 1

The O's were 4-1 to start the season last year with series wins over NYY and TOR. Let's not get too excited yet. The eye test says these guys are starting to believe in themselves a little bit. At least they are enjoying the game again. Heck, the season could get cancelled with one more outbreak.

• Upvote 2

The relievers are too inconsistent. Do you really want to trust Tanner Scott for 70 innings? He’s been terrible and lucky so far. Every reliever has had trouble, nobody is dependable. 
offense? What offense? The defense seems to be much better so there’s that, but that’s canceled out by awful baserunning.

cream rises. This team may not be as bad as expected, but it’s not good.

next season, another single-digit draft pick, but looks like Miami and Seattle at least, will be in front of us.

• Haha 1

This isn't the next contending team, at least in a normal season that isn't being played in the Twilight zone as for as rosters go. 

But, it's starting to look like we are going to identify several pieces of that next contending team this year.  For me (someone who really just wanted them to give up on this season, and really can't bring myself to look at it as anything else but an extended Spring Training), that's the best I could have hoped for from this endeavor.

The 60 game and extra playoff format is key, and turns small sample sizes into important details. All it takes is one good month and one .500-ish month and we are playing postseason ball. In a full season we’d be exposed but we’ve already faced the best pitchers on the two best teams in our division and are still standing...

Yea it’s not in a normal season by any stretch of the imagination, but in this short season, where I suspect it will be easier to hide what might be the worst starting rotation I’ve ever seen, I wouldn’t be shocked if we finished with a winning percentage over like .400. But yea I think we are seeing some very positive things chemistry-wise and Alberto is really solidifying himself as a part of our long term future. Nunez too I hope. And maybe it’s the hair, but I’m really rooting for Rio this year as well. It’s been a fun offense to watch these first two weeks but let’s not go too crazy. 

This is not our next contending team.   Could it fluke into a .500ish season and have a shot at making a 16-team playoff?    I wouldn’t rule that out completely, and I’d enjoy it, but I don’t think that makes them a contending team by my definition.    

Trading a pitcher like Richard Bleier is never a radical move, regardless of when it happens.    I liked the guy but he’s hardly an integral piece for a contending team.    On a good team he might be your 5th/6th best option out of the bullpen.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Philip said:

The relievers are too inconsistent. Do you really want to trust Tanner Scott for 70 innings? He’s been terrible and lucky so far. Every reliever has had trouble, nobody is dependable. 
offense? What offense? The defense seems to be much better so there’s that, but that’s canceled out by awful baserunning.

cream rises. This team may not be as bad as expected, but it’s not good.

next season, another single-digit draft pick, but looks like Miami and Seattle at least, will be in front of us.

Would you puhlease drink from @wildcard's cup :new_beer:  and stop "pouting and whining" @Moose Milligan?  We get it!  You and @webbrick2010 are part of the same survivors group and can't stand to see good things happen to good people.  But, I kid of (sic) coarse.  Keep the negativity coming and I refuse to ignore you even if you do that to me and those of my ilk ?.  Oh wait, you di int even see this!  ?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is not our next contending team.   Could it fluke into a .500ish season and have a shot at making a 16-team playoff?    I wouldn’t rule that out completely, and I’d enjoy it, but I don’t think that makes them a contending team by my definition.    

Trading a pitcher like Richard Bleier is never a radical move, regardless of when it happens.    I liked the guy but he’s hardly an integral piece for a contending team.    On a good team he might be your 5th/6th best option out of the bullpen.

See above!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1