What if this is the next O's contending team?

wildcard

30 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I hadn’t watched many of the games so far, and hadn’t looked at any stats either. I was surprised to see how poorly Hays is doing. I wouldn’t have guessed that was the case at all based on the commentary on this board alone.

I’ve only seen the losses, but he’s looked alright to me, unlucky a bit. His BABIP is awful. His LD% is 20 but he’s only 3-28. His xwOBA is decent but not great. Hopefully he’ll turn it around. 

I sure hope it is not the  next contending team.  They have great heart, are scrappy and seem to be giving their best, but those good qualities will only take a team,so far.  Now if they had more talent, then those above mentioned good qualities can push such a team to the top.  I suppose the ruling on this shortened year as to how to decide draft picks will be whatever is most advantageous to the Yankees.  I would be very very surprised if it did not, somehow favor them.  

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

You probably did.

99 wRC+ is pretty terrible for a DH.

Of all qualified batters Nunez was 100th in wRC+ last

year https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=dh&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31

But when you restrict to DH, there's only a couple of qualifiers, Nunez was 3rd to last, ahead of only Cabrera and Khris Davis

I wouldn't say his production is terrible, but its slightly above replacement level.    If it was terrible he wouldn't have lasted long. 

Its true you generally want more production out of the position that he has produced.  If he was platooning in the field, it wouldn't be so bad but his defense isn't quite good enough.  He seems to project to me as a placeholder until we can find someone better.  I just don't think there's any rush to replace him just yet.

12 hours ago, bobmc said:

Would you puhlease drink from @wildcard's cup :new_beer:  and stop "pouting and whining" @Moose Milligan?  We get it!  You and @webbrick2010 are part of the same survivors group and can't stand to see good things happen to good people.  But, I kid of (sic) coarse.  Keep the negativity coming and I refuse to ignore you even if you do that to me and those of my ilk ?.  Oh wait, you di int even see this!  ?

Your comment made me laugh. Of course I would love this to be 2012 again. But just consider if it’s 2005 again? Think about how this team did the first 60 games of 2005? We like 35 and 25 or something like that? The wheels definitely fell off, But it was a fun ride up until about the All-Star break.

If we could do that, we could be one of half of major-league baseball that makes the playoffs, woo hoo and we wouldn’t be the 16th seed either.

I would love to see it happen, because winning is better than losing.

buuuuuttttt.....reality will knock on the door eventually.

So, for now, “ride the train while there’s coal in the tender.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yark14 said:

Valaika for some reason reminds me of Nate McLouth. Different positions obviously, but has the same scrappiness and athleticism.  

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I loved Nate, And Valaika has the same Viking look about him. Mclouth Was a much much better player though, and I bet he had a $20 million career. Like the song says, “nice work if you can get it”

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

If a team makes the playoffs they are a contender. My definition.

When Bleier is healthy he has an ERA under 2.00.    I don't think many teams have 4 or 5 relievers better than that.

When Bleier was healthy and in the majors for about 100 innings he had an ERA of about 2.00.  He also spent almost his entire 20s in the minors pitching poorly enough to not get called up.  And his MLB FIP is 3.74 and has one of the lowest strikeout rates in the majors. 

No one would project him for a sub-2.00 ERA.  He's an average-ish 33-year-old relief pitcher.  Since most teams are now carrying 10 relievers I'd say they have 4-5 pitchers as good as or better than Bleier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When Bleier was healthy and in the majors for about 100 innings he had an ERA of about 2.00.  He also spent almost his entire 20s in the minors pitching poorly enough to not get called up.  And his MLB FIP is 3.74 and has one of the lowest strikeout rates in the majors. 

No one would project him for a sub-2.00 ERA.  He's an average-ish 33-year-old relief pitcher.  Since most teams are now carrying 10 relievers I'd say they have 4-5 pitchers as good as or better than Bleier.

Not by ERA.    Everyone goes ga-ga over strikeouts but a pitcher that can pitch to contact and get quick outs is very valuable if the team has a good defense.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not by ERA.    Everyone goes ga-ga over strikeouts but a pitcher that can pitch to contact and get quick outs is very valuable if the team has a good defense.

Which the Os don’t, especially in the OF.

Bleier isn’t a sub 2 ERA guy even if he did it in a SSS.

Hes a serviceable guy that can provide you some innings and value when he’s cheap.  That’s good.  He’s nothing more than that.