I'm Ready for Mountcastle and Diaz: Mountcastle Up, Diaz Still Waiting

ChuckS

On 8/6/2020 at 9:39 PM, Lucky_13 said:

At this point the only explanation to me is Elias doesn't want to win too many games and not get a top pick. We've passed the service time deadline. 

I'd park Davis on the bench and have Mountcastle and Nunez share at bats at 1st and at DH. Dwight Smith can go too and Diaz is the everyday LF

I agree with this.  

At least with trotting out Milone and Leblanc as starting pitchers instead of Akin, Kremer or Zimmermann, we know that teams always need starting pitching and might get a lottery pick prospect for one of those two......and with our prospects we can stretch them out fully instead of rushing them and maybe using them up unlike a couple of rented arms. 

I can't say anyone is going to give a lottery pick for Davis or Smith.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:44 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I haven't been keeping up, but what are MLB ready prospects like Mountcastle doing not to lose their edge with no organized games this year. 

30 man minor league camp at Bowie.  This was our original list- the numbers are MLB Pipeline top 30 prospect ratings.  Grayson Rodriguez was just added a little over a week ago.  So even top prospects and first round picks (like Rodriguez and Kjerstad) aren't even locks to make these camps.  I will say, many first rounders and some other draft choices are in their teams camps, but there isn't any consistency across the teams to say "these guys are in camo, and these guys aren't."  

Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C (No. 1), DL Hall, LHP (No. 3), Ryan Mountcastle, 1B/OF (No. 4), Austin Hays, OF (No. 5), Michael Baumann, RHP (No. 8), Dean Kremer, RHP (No. 9), Keegan Akin, LHP (No. 11), Hunter Harvey, RHP (No. 12), Dillon Tate, RHP (No. 27)

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From Roch:

Gary Kendall on Mountcastle playing left field:      But I see more confidence and I see a much stronger arm, better spin on the ball when he lets it go, more finish. I’ve been pleased.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/alternate-camp-allowing-developmental-process-to-proceed.html

It also mentioned that Akin is up to 70 pitches.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

From Roch:

Gary Kendall on Mountcastle playing left field:      But I see more confidence and I see a much stronger arm, better spin on the ball when he lets it go, more finish. I’ve been pleased.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/alternate-camp-allowing-developmental-process-to-proceed.html

Saw that. Kendall is a good judge of talent, so it’s good to hear.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, Can_of_corn said:

A couple other things come to mind.  Mountcastle could be sick or injured.  He could be having behavioral issues that they need to get ahead of.  Scenarios exist but it's odd.

One thing seems clear -- it wasn't just a "game the service time" issue.

In 2020, hurdling the Super Two obstacle means a prospect must be held down for roughly 23-25 days or so before promotion to avoid that first big raise in a couple of years. So, at some point at the end of this upcoming week, Mountcastle likely will fall out of the Top 22 percent for that 2022 class. Given the Orioles’ penchant for crying poor, it’s a reasonable leap to make to further explain Mountcastle’s presence in Bowie now that the service time deadline has passed.

Yet, privately and publicly, the Orioles organization swears this is simply about whether Mountcastle is ready for the majors. So, if he isn’t promoted directly after next week — or, on the flip side, if he’s up this week — then we know Super Two status played no part in this decision.

https://theathletic.com/1985038/2020/08/10/the-curious-case-of-promoting-or-waiting-on-os-prospect-ryan-mountcastle/?source=emp_shared_article

Dan explains it well. 

• Thanks 1

With respect to Mountcastle... he can also get some starts at DH, with Nunez playing first and Davis riding the pine like last September.  Start him six times a week, 3-4 in left, and 2-3 at DH.  There's no rational reason not to let him learn LF in the majors  in this type of season.

If it were up to me, he'd be starting in left and batting somewhere between 6th and 8th on Tuesday in Philadelphia.