O's need to go 12-9 to avoid a sell off.

wildcard

Money:

The owners want money. I question how many of them would Rather win, if winning cost them money.

With that in mind, it stands to reason they’ll only make moves this summer if they can make money off of those moves.

there’s no concession money, no parking money, there’s no ticket sales there’s nothing except advertising money, and that would arguably be less because the playoffs are so diluted this year. Therefore it also stands to reason that they won’t feel much incentive to make impact moves.

That could actually be good for the Orioles, because those teams might be willing to incrementally improve rather than making a big blockbuster.

But that means anybody approaching the Orioles is going to be wanting to give up prospects who are far away; high risk and high reward.

Ergo, I anticipate a lot of interest in our better guys, but not any immediate excitement coming back in the event of a trade.

16 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not necessarily. He could just have easily been worn down by the end of the year given the rigors of a full college season, multiple levels of the minors, the award circuit, media associated with being 1-1 (and the travel), etc. Or numbers are random flukish chance in SSS.

But this all sounds like excuses.  We have seen plenty of elite college guys go through the same thing and be fine.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But this all sounds like excuses.  We have seen plenty of elite college guys go through the same thing and be fine.

If you are worried about Adley based on the SSS we've seen after coming off of mono, I don't think anyone can say anything that would ease your concern.  Unfortunately, there is no minor league season this year, so you just have to wait until next year before he might do something to make you feel better about him.  Me?  I'm not worried about him at this point.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

If you are worried about Adley based on the SSS we've seen after coming off of mono, I don't think anyone can say anything that would ease your concern.  Unfortunately, there is no minor league season this year, so you just have to wait until next year before he might do something to make you feel better about him.  Me?  I'm not worried about him at this point.

Who said I was worried?  

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Pitching is in demand at the deadline.   Probably  even more this season because more teams will be in contention for playoff spots.    Elias is not going to be asking for major league players in return.  He is going to be asking for prospects that fit his evaluation criteria.   Players like Bradish who seem like nothing special to most but who Elias added to the 60 man roster because he sees something in him.

I think Elias has shown in the last year that he believes in his evaluation criteria even when it go against what the rest of the league thinks.  He proves that in the draft and in the Bundy trade IMO.  And he is proving every day how he can take players that other teams quit on and make them successful.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I can't see the O's trading Means.  They need more like Means not less.

If they're not trading Means who are selling off?  The staff is Means, Cobb, Givens and a bunch of waiver wire fodder.  I don't think the O's record in the next two or three weeks has much of anything to do with whether or not they trade Givens and Cobb. 

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I'm of the opinion that Elias will be listening closely to offers for anyone on the roster regardless of what our record is in this truncated season. I don't think having a fluke of a winning record changes his mindset on roster management this year one bit.

Yep. He said O's are moving in the direction of the Tampa model. High turnover, constant influx of talent. If there is an opportunity to get return on guys like Cobb, Givens, or Iglesias, I would expect him to take it. Tougher call on guys like Alberto and Castro who are into arbitration but aren't close to free agency yet. I don't see any way we trade Means who is not even close to free agency and could build value. 

I wonder if uncertainty that the season finishes will play into the deadline. Might have to be a player the trade partner would get to have beyond this season. If that's the case, Means and Cobb could be attractive. Iglesias could return a flier similar to the Cashner return. However, I think he can have an immensely positive impact on developing our pitchers with his work in the field. From what I've read, a lot of people were not convinced by Means' performance last year. If he can hold this new velocity then I would imagine that would change.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

The trade deadline is August 31st.   The O's have 21 games in 21 days through the rest  of August.   Elias is still looking to the future.    There is a real possibility that core players get traded this month.     The only way to avoid that is to show  Elias that this current team can play .570 baseball .   .500  baseball will not do it even if would win a playoff spot IMO.   .570 baseball is 92 wins in a normal season.   

Cobb - Salary and age

Milone and LeBlanc - FA after the season

Givens - Salary and age

Armstrong and Wojo - Age,  no options, Arbitration eligible

Are the most likely to go if anyone offers something that Elias wants for the future.

The team is proving that its not as far away from contention as previously thought so I don't see many of the other players being made available unless some team overpays big time.

This is all JMO.

So we are 11-9 and playing on August 31.   It's a long game, and it's about 11:45 PM.   Elias is on the phone, we're down 3-2 in the 9th inning and we've got a man on a man on.   Elias says -- wait, I have to see what happens here.   It's a fly ball, deep to center field, the fielder is going back.... it bounces off his head!!!  .... will it go over the fence or not?   Will Cobb stay an Oriole or be dealt to the Braves?   Everyone holds their breath.

The ball comes back down and falls in the dazed centerfielder's glove.   Elias says  you got a deal!

or

The ball bounces off the fielder's head and goes over the fence.   Elias says no deal buddy!   We're contenders.   And slams the phone down.

Yep, that's just how I'd run a major league baseball team.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Guys, I knew they weren't playing ball in the minors this year, but my statements about Rutschman aren't unfounded, and I'm not the only one that thinks this way. When Baseball America says that someone is the best prospect since Bryce Harper, I think seeing struggles in the low minors are a legit concern. I'm concerned about Hays too even though he had limited at bats this year too. Hitting under .600 in Delmarva isn't good, 46 at bats or not. He's still an amazing prospect, but there is some cause for concern with me. How can you blame me after seeing so many prospects flame out? 

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

So, we are 11-9 and playing on August 31st. It's a long game, and it's about 11:45 PM. Elias is on the phone, we're down by a score of 3-2 in the 9th inning, and we've got a man on. Elias says ------ wait, I have to see what happens here. It's a fly ball, deep to center field, the fielder is going back ...... it bounces off his head !!!  Will it go over the fence or not ??? Will Cobb stay an Oriole, or be dealt to the Braves ???  Everyone holds their breath.

The ball comes back down and falls into the dazed centerfielder's glove. Elias says,  "You've got a deal !!!"

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll OR

The ball bounces off of the fielder's head, and goes over the fence. Elias says, "No deal, buddy !!! We're contenders." And slams the phone down.

Yep, that's just how I'd run a Major League baseball team.

o

Tonight's game ........tonight's game would have been the quintessential example of that scenario coming to fruition.

Could you imagine if the Orioles are 11-9 after 20 games, and then they had a game play out PRECISELY like tonight's game did ??? Elias would have been continually picking the telephone up and hanging back up again every few minutes over the final 4 innings of the game.

o

• Haha 1