Would you cheer?

isestrex

A-Rod just hit his 496th home run last night. I realize that this is a stretch but you realize that if he goes on a little bit of a drought, he could end up hitting 500 at Camden Yards.

Would you applaud this feat if you are in attendance?

Not so fast!! Think about the situation. Of course I would want to cheer, this is A-Rod we're talking about: the savior of the steroid era; the Prince preparing to topple the great Tyrant named Barry; the... Yankee.

Are you really going to stand up and delay the game a few minutes to applaud the Yankees hitting a home run? What if it's off our our precious Bedard? Or our man crush Guthrie? What if they were pitching 1 hit shutouts into the 8th?

Would you cheer?

(Of course this is all hypothetical. The chances of him still searching for 500 by the time he gets to Baltimore are slim. But this dilemma popped into my head this morning and I wondered what I would do if I were in such a situation.)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
500 at that age is a HELLUVA accomplisment, so I'd think I'd clap, yeah. I wouldn't whoop it up, or anything. But he'd get some applause.

Yeah I'd do the same, but then I'd say, "You're still not as respected as Cal"

I don't get too caught up in records. I love the game, and love the O's, so I don't think I would applaude a Yankee hitting a HR that hurts the O's during a particular game. I will be there 7/28 so I might be there for it.

A-Rod just hit his 496th home run last night. I realize that this is a stretch but you realize that if he goes on a little bit of a drought, he could end up hitting 500 at Camden Yards.

Would you applaud this feat if you are in attendance?

Not so fast!! Think about the situation. Of course I would want to cheer, this is A-Rod we're talking about: the savior of the steroid era; the Prince preparing to topple the great Tyrant named Barry; the... Yankee.

Let's not get carried away here. In my eyes everyone is a suspect. Just because ARod doesn't look like Goldberg doesn't mean he hasn't used something. Anyone remember a guy named Rafael Palmeiro?

That being said, I'd still applaud his acheivement.

Im a big Oriole fan but I think I might be a bigger baseball fan. I would definitly stand up and cheer.

Agreed as a fan of the game over a fan of the Orioles you have to cheer that feat it is pretty amazing!

this is A-Rod we're talking about: the savior of the steroid era; the Prince preparing to topple the great Tyrant named Barry
Let's not get carried away here. In my eyes everyone is a suspect. Just because ARod doesn't look like Goldberg doesn't mean he hasn't used something. Anyone remember a guy named Rafael Palmeiro?

Just for the record, that wasn't an accurate manifestation of my personal views... I simply put down what the media and general baseball public have been gushing over for the last few months. I'd say more about my own personal opinion about A-Rod vs Bonds but I think that would be worthy of another thread and a deviation from this one.

I might clap, but there us no way if I caught the ball I would give it to him, no matter what price

I would offer a trade - the ball for his name on a 2008 Baltimore Orioles contract at a reasonable price. ;)

I was actually going to start this same thread today when I heard on Mike and Mike that he had hit #496...then I forgot to do it. Anyway, I don't think I'd have a problem offering a polite cheer if it didn't dagger the O's chances in that particular game. In fact, I thought that I'd kind of want to be there for something like that.

But then again, A-Rod isn't exactly the most liked figure on the Yankees. Most of my Yankee fan friends don't want him anywhere near their team, MVP season or not. I wonder how I'd feel if it were Jeter though.

Archived