Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Three of those were just as a PH.   Wieters has played as a defensive sub in 8 games, a total of 17 innings.  Most of those were in very lopsided games.    

To date Molina has caught 416.2 innings, 2nd most in MLB (0.2 innings behind 30-year old Yasmani Grandal).    

They're Bucking ("dry-humping") Molina, but at an unconscionable age. In Wieters' case, he was only a lad of 25-27 years old--and the O's paid for it with the following seasons of just 26 and 75 games played.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Three of those were just as a PH.   Wieters has played as a defensive sub in 8 games, a total of 17 innings.  Most of those were in very lopsided games.    

To date Molina has caught 416.2 innings, 2nd most in MLB (0.2 innings behind 30-year old Yasmani Grandal).    

i riding Grandal hard in my fantasyyleague. :)

He has the whole off-season to rest. :)

• Haha 1

The lucky streak for Brad Brach has been normalizing, and it's not been a great last couple of outings.  Last 6 games, 5 ER and a 7.11 ERA with batters OPSing 1.092.  Even putting aside a couple of bad games in a row, his BB/9  is 8.3, that's double his career average.  I mean just, damn.

5 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

The lucky streak for Brad Brach has been normalizing, and it's not been a great last couple of outings.  Last 6 games, 5 ER and a 7.11 ERA with batters OPSing 1.092.  Even putting aside a couple of bad games in a row, his BB/9  is 8.3, that's double his career average.  I mean just, damn.

Still, how is it that we only got international slot money for him? And how come the Braves didn't keep him after he put up a 1.52 ERA for them in 27 games last year?

In any case, he was definitely a nugget for us. And came off as a very good earnest guy in interviews.

29 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Still, how is it that we only got international slot money for him? And how come the Braves didn't keep him after he put up a 1.52 ERA for them in 27 games last year?

In any case, he was definitely a nugget for us. And came off as a very good earnest guy in interviews.

He did himself and the team no service last year with his 4.85 ERA and 1.769 WHIP by the time of the trade.  Nobody was going to give up much of anything for a guys putting that together entering free agency.  I always liked the guy and would take him back on a one year cheap deal, but slot money was about the only thing they could have gotten for him given how poorly he'd done.  Now why the Braves didn't want him back, no idea.

21 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

He did himself and the team no service last year with his 4.85 ERA and 1.769 WHIP by the time of the trade.  Nobody was going to give up much of anything for a guys putting that together entering free agency.  I always liked the guy and would take him back on a one year cheap deal, but slot money was about the only thing they could have gotten for him given how poorly he'd done.  Now why the Braves didn't want him back, no idea.

Yeah, he was making $5+ million for the O's last year. They probably saved roughly $1.5-$2.0 million by trading him. It was a money dump because his production just hasn't been very good. The fact he did well for Atlanta is nice, but we weren't selling high and we were in full tank mode. It was a decent risk for Atlanta that mostly panned out.

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah, he was making $5+ million for the O's last year. They probably saved roughly $1.5-$2.0 million by trading him. It was a money dump because his production just hasn't been very good. The fact he did well for Atlanta is nice, but we weren't selling high and we were in full tank mode. It was a decent risk for Atlanta that mostly panned out.

As I recall, Atlanta was in the penalty box and couldn’t use their international slots to sign players anyway.   So really, the only risk they took was Brach’s salary.   

Maybe so. It's funny how deals tend to make sense for both teams. They had a low payroll, wanted a bullpen arm with upside without giving up young prospects, and they were in a pennant race. We were carrying an expensive and under performing reliever and we were dropping salary like it was going out of style. 

Britton's was a similar type of deal. He was performing better, but had been injured and hadn't really regained his command at all. The team was tanking, he was a FA to be and also pretty expensive. Yet people think we should have gotten a major return. 

I think people's complaints about last year's trade deadline are right on the prospects we got back but wrong on the blame. The market was what it was because we decided to hold onto all of those guys for too long and ultimately sold low on just about everyone. That is why the return was mostly about salary relief. It wasn't because Duquette's a dunce who just decided to make stupid deals. 

o

We "purged" this guy a decade ago, via free agency ........

(DODGERS vs. PHILLIES, 6/02)

Rich Hill threw 7 shutout innings in an 8-0 win over the Phillies this afternoon.

For the season, Hill has a 2.25 ERA and a 1.050 WHIP.

o

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Zach Davies with a gem vs Pittsburgh. Another finesse pitcher who doesn’t have a ML career.

Sure am glad they got a few months of Gerardo Parra for him. Well, worth it. ?

At least I got some really good ranting in when it happened.  I was throwing down with everyone that day.