Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess, but all this hand-wringing is because he's pulling a Hurricane Hazel, playing 26 miles above his head.  He's Joey Rickard, it's really no big deal.

I’m more of the opinion that he’s a scenery change kinda guy, the Giants saw something the Orioles didn’t and this “surge” would never have happened with the O’s.

The good news is that occasionally the Orioles will get mileage out of players like Chris Davis in similar circumstances. I’m not sure Davis has a career in Texas like he had here.

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’m more of the opinion that he’s a scenery change kinda guy, the Giants saw something the Orioles didn’t and this “surge” would never have happened with the O’s.

The good news is that occasionally the Orioles will get mileage out of players like Chris Davis in similar circumstances. I’m not sure Davis has a career in Texas like he had here.

I think the Giants were really desperate for outfielders and got lucky.

But maybe I'm wrong.

12 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'll fully admit, his last name got my attention. But he did really well his first few seasons and then the injuries hit. He still showed flashes of his "prospect self," along with his defense being there. Plus, like a few people pointed out, would it have been so bad to see how he did last season (when he was showing what he can do when healthy) instead of giving Andreoli and Gentry all those at bats?

Or spending much of this season with converted utility infielders starting lots of games in the outfield?

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's were not the only ones that gave up on Yaz.  All winter I keep saying he deserved a chance.  That he had outplayed Stewart in 2018. Many OH posters didn't support him.   When he was traded I looked at the Giants roster and said that it looked like a good opportunity for Yaz.   

I’m glad he’s doing so well.    He got off to a good start with the Giants (.797 OPS in his first 23 games), then went into a slump (.520 OPS his next 17 games) and I kind of assumed the league had figured him out and he was sinking to his natural level.    But now he’s on another tear (1.081 OPS his last 32 games).     No matter what happens from here, he’s put together a better half season than most prospects ever do.    And the Giants are in the race because of it.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad he’s doing so well.    He got off to a good start with the Giants (.797 OPS in his first 23 games), then went into a slump (.520 OPS his next 17 games) and I kind of assumed the league had figured him out and he was sinking to his natural level.    But now he’s on another tear (1.081 OPS his last 32 games).     No matter what happens from here, he’s put together a better half season than most prospects ever do.    And the Giants are in the race because of it.

You said I had a man crush on Yaz.   I never felt that I did.  I was just pointing out that he deserved a chance.      I thought he could be a good 4th OFer.  Good defense and occasional hitting.  I never thought he could do what he is doing.  The Giants OF depth was pretty poor which gave  Yaz the opportunity he needed.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You said I had a man crush on Yaz.   I never felt that I did.  I was just pointing out that he deserved a chance.      I thought he could be a good 4th OFer.  Good defense and occasional hitting.  I never thought he could do what he is doing.  The Giants OF depth was pretty poor which gave  Yaz the opportunity he needed.

He’s exceeded everyone’s expectations, even yours, which were higher than most of ours.    My point is merely that no matter what he does in the future, he’ll always have this magical half-season.   They can’t take it away from him.    You have to feel good for a guy who has pursued his dream for so long.   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You mean being the worst player of all time?

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

You mean being the worst player of all time?

You wouldn't want to qualify that with the fact that he had a couple of seasons where he was in the MVP conversation, then another three seasons where he was an average to average+ first baseman, before he collapsed to a point where almost anyone else would have been released?  But his contractual situation meant that he was given far more rope than any comparably poor player.  

There have been millions of players, and even thousands of MLB players as bad as or worse than Chris Davis.  They just didn't have a massive contract interfering with the decision-making process.  Imagine if, say, Larry Sheets had signed a seven-year contract after 1987 that led to him being on the roster through 1992 or 1993.  Chris Davis was a lot better than Larry Sheets.

• Upvote 3