Frederick Dropped

weams

Keys owner Ken Young, who also owns the Norfolk and Bowie franchises, said in a statement that they’re “ecstatic to have Frederick continue to be a gateway to the majors.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-minor-league-affiliates-20201209-uwpfnixwercbdmn766urrw4sny-story.html

Good to remember that the same guy owns both the Baysox and the Keys.    You have to figure he was consulted by the O's about which city to drop.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-minor-league-affiliates-20201209-uwpfnixwercbdmn766urrw4sny-story.html

Good to remember that the same guy owns both the Baysox and the Keys.    You have to figure he was consulted by the O's about which city to drop.

You'd think he would have voted for Delmarva.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Do we know it was the Os decision to drop Frederick? Could it have been an MLB level decision? That's the impression I had but I have not heard definitively. Does anyone know for certain? 

37 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Do we know it was the Os decision to drop Frederick? Could it have been an MLB level decision? That's the impression I had but I have not heard definitively. Does anyone know for certain? 

It was ,,,,, Mewleski's article said they invited  Bowie, Aberdeen, Delmarva, and Norfolk to return as their affiliates.

As disappointing as it is to lose Frederick, I was about equally dismayed by the news that the St. Paul Saints are now the Twins' AAA affiliate.  The Saints were the best known of the teams in the early 1990s independent league revival.  Owned by Mike Veeck and Bill Murray, they took pride in thumbing their noses at big-money Major League Baseball and they pioneered all the crazy antics and promotions all minor league teams do today.  I will always fondly remember the time I went to a game there in 1995, with a buddy of mine who passed away earlier this year.

Now they're just another random AAA team, fully sold out to the Majors, stocked full of anonymous relievers who'll get shuttled up and down six times a month, and utility infielders hoping someone on the Twins turns an ankle.  It's a sad day.

For some, going to an O's game is just that.  For others, going to an O's game means going to the city and doing a few things, one of which is attending a game.  Taking the kids to the harbor isn't as fun, being out late isn't desirable, and so on.  The product stinks but there is also a component of not wanting to visit Baltimore.  I'm not one of those people but I know many.

I had one of those moments of time slipping away when I read that Harry Grove was “outdated.”  My girlfriend (now wife) and I attended a few games there when it was brand new, before moving to Texas nearly 30 years ago.  

The Texas Rangers are playing in their third home ballpark since I moved here in 1992.  

The wife’s folks are getting older, and she’s making noise about returning to Maryland to be closer to them.  Her big selling point to me is, “Look how close you could be to Camden Yards?”

If it works as I’d like it to, I imagine MurphDog and I will be neighbors!

22 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

That would have certainly been my choice.

Getting rid of Delmarva instead of Frederick would make sense to me from a pure "target market" perspective, but if that's the consideration, isn't getting rid of Aberdeen by far the easiest in terms of not losing a market? What does Aberdeen bring other than the Ripken name and nice facilities?

That tells me this is about facilities.

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I see teams going to smaller, tech savvy stadiums that will give people things to do that have to do with the game like using their smart phone to predict what a batter will do and win some kind of points when they are right that can be redeemed for future tickets or maybe merchandise/food or even leaderboards in the stadium so a person would "famous" for a night for being first or in the top three?

It's called in-game betting. Monumental sports (Leonsis, Wizards/Capitals) is huge into this. Baseball would be smart to integrate this stuff ASAP to improve the fan experience.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It was ,,,,, Mewleski's article said they invited  Bowie, Aberdeen, Delmarva, and Norfolk to return as their affiliates.

I hope I am not being think headed but I get that the Os "invited" the four to be their affiliates but is that confirmation that it was the Os decision to drop the Keys or was that just a by product of the fact that MLB didn't want Freerick as an affiliated franchise. I have not seen a clear statement from anyone as to whether this was an Os decision or part of the reorganization at the MLB/MiLB level.

12 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I hope I am not being think headed but I get that the Os "invited" the four to be their affiliates but is that confirmation that it was the Os decision to drop the Keys or was that just a by product of the fact that MLB didn't want Freerick as an affiliated franchise. I have not seen a clear statement from anyone as to whether this was an Os decision or part of the reorganization at the MLB/MiLB level.

I don’t see how or why MLB would tell the Orioles what to do. 

Clearly the Orioles had to drop one team. Nothing would have stopped them from keeping Frederick over a city they kept.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Here

MLB

Orioles Drop Frederick Keys As Minor League Affiliate

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2121960765324/orioles-drop-frederick-keys-as-minor-league-affiliate

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile, I'm over here in Salisbury like ?...

Seriously though, Salisbury is the only Orioles presence on the shore. Strategically, I would think it is smart to keep that presence here. There is a very solid fanbase here. Many people from all over like to catch a game here when they vacation in OC. 

Arthur W. Perdue is also a nice facility and they have been investing into it over the years. They added a boardwalk two years ago that goes from pole to pole, meaning you can grab a beer or two and catch the game from center at a single A game. Not many minor league teams have that type of facility. Salisbury was a good choice to keep.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Snutchy said:

Meanwhile, I'm over here in Salisbury like ?...

Seriously though, Salisbury is the only Orioles presence on the shore. Strategically, I would think it is smart to keep that presence here. There is a very solid fanbase here. Many people from all over like to catch a game here when they vacation in OC. 

Arthur W. Perdue is also a nice facility and they have been investing into it over the years. They added a boardwalk two years ago that goes from pole to pole, meaning you can grab a beer or two and catch the game from center at a single A game. Not many minor league teams have that type of facility. Salisbury was a good choice to keep.

It makes sense to keep Delmarva and. Frederick IMO.