Trade Bait 2021

ScGO's

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

A week means nothing.

All it does is make his life less comfortable as he deals with the hassle of moving and different team mates and coaches.

He has three years of college ball and a half a season of instructional camp that they can base things off of.

I honestly can't wrap my head around why you think he should go play in A ball. 

He wasn't some toolsy but unrefined project they picked.

What could possibly happen in a week or two at A ball that would mean anything?]

If he goes 0-for, it means nothing.

If he hits .500, it means nothing.

When he inevitability does something between those two poles, it means nothing.

I think he can handle new teammates. He would be on the fast track to AA and then AAA if they feel he needs seasoning. Now if he shows up in camp looking like he's the best player on the team, then the situation changes. But he's done it before in the same season he played college ball no less.  

2019 21   3 Teams 3 Lgs A--A-Rk BAL 37 games

I don't know if Kim Ng agrees, but in trade the Marlins kind of said they like Chisholm to be a building block SS for the low low price of Zac Gallen.

I think I'd rather shoot for pitching if Santander Miami happens.

Regular plug that if the 2022-2023 payrolls can average like $70M not $40M the club has an ante for Lindor, or plenty for Correa down the talent list.   The fun of spring will be starting to see if Adley, etc. can earn that for themselves before the angst of will we pay for good players in December.  

Guess you can subtract ~$5M from those averages if it is MLB minimum Yusniel/Kjerstad instead of Santander in a corner on those rosters too.

A $65M payroll in 2022 would under any since 2004, except for these very recent teams either paying off Buck's credit card bill or saving for a rainy day.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I think he can handle new teammates. He would be on the fast track to AA and then AAA if they feel he needs seasoning. Now if he shows up in camp looking like he's the best player on the team, then the situation changes. But he's done it before in the same season he played college ball no less.  

2019 21   3 Teams 3 Lgs A--A-Rk BAL 37 games

Yes, I know they paraded him around to various affiliates like a show dog the year he signed.  He also was "disappointing" in his pro debut.

What is the gain in sending him down to A ball?  What's the advantage to the player? 

Sending him down to A ball would just be jerking the kid around.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, I know they paraded him around to various affiliates like a show dog the year he signed.  He also was "disappointing" in his pro debut.

What is the gain in sending him down to A ball?  What's the advantage to the player? 

The advantage to the player is so that he isnt overmatched. The Pac 12 isnt AA quality last I heard, so he might need some time to readjust to pro baseball. High A allows that.  

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The advantage to the player is so that he isnt overmatched. The Pac 12 isnt AA quality last I heard, so he might need some time to readjust to pro baseball. High A allows that.  

Gunnar Henderson was overmatched at the instructional camp last year.

How did that work out for him?

If AR can't handle a bit of adversity in his first full year in the minors we should just pack in this rebuild now.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gunnar Henderson was overmatched at the instructional camp last year.

How did that work out for him?

If AR can't handle a bit of adversity in his first full year in the minors we should just pack in this rebuild now.

I have no idea how that worked for Gunnar since he hasnt played since 2019. Hopefully he's a much better player now. But I wouldnt start him in AA either.  The Minor League camp should give ME a good idea where to start these two.  Hopefully he isnt balls to the wall because scouts say they look like the two best position players. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think after two months at the alternate site where by all accounts he played extremely well, A ball would be a waste of time.    Start him in AA.   Anyway, Elias has all but said that’s what he plans to do.  

On 2/2/2021 at 5:05 AM, Roll Tide said:

I wouldn’t be that surprised if we traded Santander or Mancini before spring training. It’s obvious that everything on the table is for sale. I can’t help but think Mancini could have higher trade value at the deadline after he proves that he’s back to his old self.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:05 AM, Roll Tide said:

I wouldn’t be that surprised if we traded Santander or Mancini before spring training. It’s obvious that everything on the table is for sale. I can’t help but think Mancini could have higher trade value at the deadline after he proves that he’s back to his old self.

Now that the Twins have retained Cruz, the Indians are going to have to worry about two good teams in the Central. I bet they’d love to have Santander back. They have pitching for days, but they probably want to keep it. I wonder if they have any good infielders we could pry away from them?

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

Now that the Twins have retained Cruz, the Indians are going to have to worry about two good teams in the Central. I bet they’d love to have Santander back. They have pitching for days, but they probably want to keep it. I wonder if they have any good infielders we could pry away from them?

The Indians have 4 SS in their top 11 .... 

Id target SS Brayan Rocchio #8, Tanner Burns #15; and Carlos Vargas #24

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think after two months at the alternate site where by all accounts he played extremely well, A ball would be a waste of time.    Start him in AA.   Anyway, Elias has all but said that’s what he plans to do.  

Luckily, all indications are that Elias plans to start Rutschman at AA this year.  If he spends a month in Bowie and another Norfolk, I have no problem with that.

• 1 month later...

Quick update to the original list - Cobb was the only one traded at this point. Sanchez was cut and I'm taking a few of the relievers off that didn't make the opening day roster. This is where I see value and potential value now.  Not saying these guys should be traded, but we are still in rebuild mode, so it will be interesting to see how Elias approaches the trade market.

Stock is up

Mancini - Healthy and looking like his old self. Two seasons left on contract. A good year could lead to a big pay check in arbitration.

Santander - If he puts up an .800+ OPS he could traded this summer.  I think we need to sell high if he blows up this year.

Means - Looks like a #1 after Opening Day. No rush to trade, but if someone comes knocking with top 100 prospects...

Tanner Scott-  He might be a beast.  With a few years of control left, he could get a really solid return if Elias chooses to shop him. Took him a few pitches, but he looked dominate on opening day.

Chance to build stock

Shawn Armstrong and Paul Fry - Have been good at times.  Getting older.  If they do well this year, they could be shipped out this summer in Richard Blelier  to Miguel Castro type deals.

Cole Sulser and Cesar Valdez - Both have interesting stuff, are older and not in the long term plans, and both haven't been in the bigs long enough to establish themselves.  Both will be given that opportunity this year.  If they perform, they could get a similar return to what I said with Armstrong or Fry.

Matt Harvey - He's on his way up from ground zero.  If he can be a 4.50 ERA or less pitcher, we might be able to get a return. On a 1 year deal so low risk.

Severino and Sisco - No value as of now, and their time here is short with Adley coming.  Both will yet again have a chance to "figure it out" this season  If either can put up a .750 OPS, we might be able to get a C level prospect back.

Franco and Galvis - Here on 1 year deals, low risk in a trade. Both will be given the bulk of starts at their positions.  If they perform, they may be swung for a prospect or two. This was probably Elias' gamble with these two all along.

Ruiz - Can he build his stock as a 2B? Still depends on his bat.

Stewart - On the IL, but if given the bulk of the DH AB's, could develop value as an OBP guy.  With a crowded OF, he could be the odd man out if he performs well enough to build value.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:Stock is up

Mancini - Healthy and looking like his old self. Two seasons left on contract. A good year could lead to a big pay check in arbitration.

Sorry, no one is going to trade for Mancini. Too risky.

Santander - If he puts up an .800+ OPS he could traded this summer.  I think we need to sell high if he blows up this year.

Agree

Means - Looks like a #1 after Opening Day. No rush to trade, but if someone comes knocking with top 100 prospects...

Agree. He could be this season’s Tyler Glasnow or Chris Archer in terms of trade value if he gives us 70 innings like yesterday. How Elias handles that question will reveal where he thinks we will be next season.

Tanner Scott-  He might be a beast.  With a few years of control left, he could get a really solid return if Elias chooses to shop him. Took him a few pitches, but he looked dominate on opening day. 

He didn’t look dominant. He looked shaky. Exactly the reason why everyone is terrified when he comes into a game. We never know what we’re gonna get. Any team would be happy to have him, but no one is going to trade much for him.

Chance to build stock

Shawn Armstrong and Paul Fry - Have been good at times.  Getting older.  If they do well this year, they could be shipped out this summer in Richard Blelier  to Miguel Castro type deals.

Meh. Dime a dozen guys. No value.

Cole Sulser and Cesar Valdez - Both have interesting stuff, are older and not in the long term plans, and both haven't been in the bigs long enough to establish themselves.  Both will be given that opportunity this year.  If they perform, they could get a similar return to what I said with Armstrong or Fry.

Valdez might bring back something, Sulser, no

Matt Harvey - He's on his way up from ground zero.  If he can be a 4.50 ERA or less pitcher, we might be able to get a return. On a 1 year deal so low risk.

Tommy Milone says hi. That kind of return is  about all we could expect.

Severino and Sisco - No value as of now, and their time here is short with Adley coming.  Both will yet again have a chance to "figure it out" this season  If either can put up a .750 OPS, we might be able to get a C level prospect back.

No. They are both awful defenders. If they were blazing lights out hitters, than teams would deal with the defense, but they aren’t. They are slightly above league average for catcher, which is more than compensated for by all the balls thrown into random spots in the OF, and other shenanigans. They cannot  depart soon enough, but it won’t be by trade.

Franco and Galvis - Here on 1 year deals, low risk in a trade. Both will be given the bulk of starts at their positions.  If they perform, they may be swung for a prospect or two. This was probably Elias' gamble with these two all along.

Maybe but doubtful. They are known quantities, and we’ve already seen the first of many errors from 3B, and on a routine play, too.

Ruiz - Can he build his stock as a 2B? Still depends on his bat.

Interesting question. If his performance yesterday an be sustained, I might advocate keeping him.

Stewart - On the IL, but if given the bulk of the DH AB's, could develop value as an OBP guy.  With a crowded OF, he could be the odd man out if he performs well enough to build value.

send him on his way. Dedicated DH is an obsolete concept. Endurable if you’re Edgar,  but Stewart isn’t.