14 man pitching staff? Chris Davis? Something's gotta give...

SteveA

Both Kubatko and Dubroff have mentioned the possibility of going with a 14 man pitching staff to start the season, in the past week.   People are concerned about inning load on pitchers after the short season.

There's a 26 man roster this year.

If you have a 14 man pitching staff on a 26 man roster, you basically just have room for 3 bench guys.   A backup C, a backup OF, and a backup IF.

If Chris Davis is on the roster, as most assume he will be -- I just don't see how you can make that work.   

• Upvote 2

With the potential work stoppage next season due to the collectives bargaining agreement, I just don't see the Angelos brothers letting Elias release Davis. They probably saw the money they saved last year as evidence why its financially smart to keep him on the roster. 

The only other thing is for him to magically step in the "Ubaldo puddle" that would enable them to DL him for most or all of the season.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

With the potential work stoppage next season due to the collectives bargaining agreement, I just don't see the Angelos brothers letting Elias release Davis. They probably saw the money they saved last year as evidence why its financially smart to keep him on the roster. 

The only other thing is for him to magically step in the "Ubaldo puddle" that would enable them to DL him for most or all of the season.

This may happen. I honestly think it would be mutual too.  I don't think Davis wants to play anymore, but he wants his money.  This would be win win; he goes on the 60 day DL with a bruised ego and the O's have their 26 man roster.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

This may happen. I honestly think it would be mutual too.  I don't think Davis wants to play anymore, but he wants his money.  This would be win win; he goes on the 60 day DL with a bruised ego and the O's have their 26 man roster.

It has to be mutual.  O's can't try and stick him on the IL if he isn't willing to play along. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

he's already a two time offender with Amphetamines

Huh, so he is. Didn't realize that the 25 game suspension in 2014 was actually for the second violation. As long as he doesn't have a doctor's slip currently, I guess that would be the way to go if you were looking to avoid paying him by any means necessary.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:37 PM, SteveA said:

Both Kubatko and Dubroff have mentioned the possibility of going with a 14 man pitching staff to start the season, in the past week.   People are concerned about inning load on pitchers after the short season.

There's a 26 man roster this year.

If you have a 14 man pitching staff on a 26 man roster, you basically just have room for 3 bench guys.   A backup C, a backup OF, and a backup IF.

If Chris Davis is on the roster, as most assume he will be -- I just don't see how you can make that work.   

T e c h n i c a l l y  Davis is a backup OFer... and 3Bman.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Tony-OH said:

I was hoping that this is the year that they'd cut him, but I think you're right unfortunately.  I don't see how they cut him this year if the family thinks there's a work stoppage next season and they can save some money.