Hays: my favorite current Oriole

Frobby

Gotta like Hays, mostly for the excellent fielding, speed on the bases as well as in CF, his pleasure in playing a child's game, and the potential a real athlete has to hit well too. All these reasons are already in the comments. Another reason is an invidious comparison with regard to fielding with other position players, who will remain nameless. Hays is old school "Oriole's Way." He is not an affront to the baseball gods with ungodly fielding.

Edited by George
syntax
  • Upvote 1

Great player, great person. Really enjoyed watching him play in Bowie and liked the fact he didn’t change he his game from AA to the MLB in terms of going all out. He puts full effort into every aspect and it shows.

Plus, the rest of the league needs to be on notice. He is rocking that “New Dad” strength.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Great player, great person. Really enjoyed watching him play in Bowie and liked the fact he didn’t change he his game from AA to the MLB in terms of going all out. He puts full effort into every aspect and it shows.

Plus, the rest of the league needs to be on notice. He is rocking that “New Dad” strength.

And those huge visors!

ExaEUchXIAYW2sh?format=jpg&name=medium

For what it’s worth (which is exactly nothing), Hays has the highest BA of any “qualifier” this spring, and he’s 4th in OPS, 5th in OBP, and 5th in SLG.   (I’m not sure how they determine who “qualifies” in the spring, but right now the cutoff appears to be 40 PA or so.)

As an aside, Mountcastle is 6th in RBI, one off the lead, with 13.

Mountcastle remains my favorite of the young players.  But, Hays is an awful close second.  We could have a monster outfield.

I hate that last year was largely a black hole for the young prospects on the farm.  Wish Henderson and Hall had full seasons for development.