Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Do they let Ruiz go? or keep him is the next question.

With Davis out he could play some 1st when he isn’t playing some at 3rd if he stays. Rio is not a typical bench type. 

If Franco does sign, I would think Ruiz is DFA'd. If he clears, and he may well, you could send him to AAA. 

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

If Franco does sign, I would think Ruiz is DFA'd. If he clears, and he may well, you could send him to AAA. 

O's don't need to DFA him.  He has an option.   They have Davis or Hunter Harvey who can probably be put on the 60 day IL.     Ruiz can be depth  at AAA in case of injury.

50 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

This is where I am on this. Perhaps they see some things they can improve, but his defense is going to make people wish Ruiz was still here. 

I dont feel his defense is that much worse than Ruiz.  Let’s not pretend Ruiz is some GG level player.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Do they let Ruiz go? or keep him is the next question.

With Davis out he could play some 1st when he isn’t playing some at 3rd if he stays. Rio is not a typical bench type. 

Ruiz could be optioned, but most likely would be DFA'd at the end of spring training since he doesn't have the versatility to be a utility player and the team may need a roster spot. I could see him passing through waivers and ending up as depth in AAA, especially with Bannon bombing hard this spring.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ruiz will be DFA'd at the end of spring training since he doesn't have the versatility to be a utility player and is out of options. I could see him passing through waivers and ending up as depth in AAA, especially with Bannon bombing hard this spring.

Wildcard said he does have options left and Roster Resource says he has 2. Not sure what their plans are for Bannon at AAA. I guess Jones will play a lot at 2nd. 

I don't hate it, but I also wouldn't do it myself.  Between Ruiz, Valaika, Sanchez, and Urias, I thought we could get through 2021 at 3B.  Personally, I was fine cutting Ruiz and going with Urias, Valaika, and Sanchez to split 2B and 3B duties.

I am also much in the "I don't care if we win games; let's develop the system" tribe, so signing Franco is a couple million I wouldn't spend to improve at 3B. High draft picks are worth more to me than 1 year stop gaps. 

However, and Ideally, Franco will produce and can be flipped for one or two of someone's Top 30 Prospects. Maybe the money Elias saves from cutting Ruiz and Valaika will cover Franco's cost?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

O's don't need to DFA him.  He has an option.   They have Davis or Hunter Harvey who can probably be put on the 60 day IL.     Ruiz can be depth  at AAA in case of injury.

Why keep him on the 40 man? We need the roster space. I know he has options, but if you are going to make this move to sign Franco, then you have admitted Ruiz is not going to make it. Ruiz is not a prospect anymore, and he has no other position. 

• Upvote 1