Sanchez DFA’d: Flurry of moves could be just the beginning

eddie83

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

God love Steve Wilkerson. There has never been a cockier 4-A player in major league baseball history. :D Still, the one thing he brings is versatility on defense but I think there's enough versatility in the system where his time has come and gone here.

He is there in case of injuries or trades.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:46 PM, Tony-OH said:

Since 2018, Garcia has slashed .234/.337/.326/.664  with no pop. 
Since 18, Sanchez has slashed .247/.314 /.353/.667 with GG defense in 2019. 

If they don't want Sanchez, I don't see them wanting Garcia.

On top of that, Greg Garcia has a career dWAR of -0.1.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So Ruiz all of a sudden getting a start at 2B means nothing?  Just a coincidence?  Roch says don't read anything into it.  Really?

Yea, I tend to think you have a point.

OTOH, I know that Roch is fed info and he’s right that he hasn’t played there.

Hyde has said in interviews that he believes in having players be versatile.  Ruiz getting a start there could have simply be that or something that is “let’s take a look” or something like that.

I don’t think one start means anything.  But if he starts there more, I think it does.

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So Ruiz all of a sudden getting a start at 2B means nothing?  Just a coincidence?  Roch says don't read anything into it.  Really?

It would be pretty stupid to try this days before the season if they genuinely thought he was capable there. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

As long as he doesn't get hurt in the effort what harm is in it?

There is nothing wrong with it.

I didn’t mean it in reference to an injury I meant it in reference to them thinking he is a possible regular at 2nd.  

If they thought he could be solid at 2nd base I would not have waited until days before the season to try it. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I didn’t mean it in reference to an injury I meant it in reference to them thinking he is a possible regular at 2nd.  

If they thought he could be solid at 2nd base I would not have waited until days before the season to try it. 

Well as Roch said, who knows if he was playing in B games or taking grounders on the other fields.  I would think they would ask about today if Hyde has a Q and A.

26 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The results don't matter so who cares?

I think Ruiz at 2B was nothing more than seeing if he's passable there. I don't think he's an answer to play there with any regularity, but if Ruiz sticks around with Franco playing most of the games at 3B, Ruiz would need to be a utility player and whether we have a three or four man bench, any bench player would need to be able to play more than one position. If Ruiz can play 1B, 2B, and 3B (even in a pinch for 2B), that opens the door for him staying where it may otherwise be closed if he's basically just a backup 3B. 

I think there are a lot of moving parts, but if another infielder is not acquired, I think we see Urias as the primary 2B (at least that's my hope).

As Hyde said it's just so Ruiz isn't surprised if he has to put him there late in an extra-innings game or something (happened once or twice last season). Ruiz is not going to be a starting 2B option, or even an option as a utility guy, confirmed by Hyde himself. Y'all read into things too much. 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The results don't matter so who cares?

You aren’t getting my point. All I am saying is if they thought he could play there and be good why wait until late March to try it?  That’s all I am saying.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I agree with @eddie83, but the larger question is why bother with Ruiz at all? He’s pretty dreadful.

This is actually the right question to ask imo.

It seems to me that they are trying to find a way to keep him.  Why?  What does he provide that you feel the need to have?

Like I said, he could stick until DJ gets back.  They may want the extra bat but really, what’s the point?  Just cut bait.