Can Ramon Urias be a starter?

Sports Guy

Urias poses some intrigue imo.  I know Tony has hinted that he is interested in him.  I did some digging on him and found this older scouting report:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vivaelbirdos.com/platform/amp/2018/3/25/17161034/system-sundays-scouting-ramon-urias

He has performed well in the minors and also was good in the Mexican Leagues:

https://www.milb.com/player/ramon-urias-602104

If the above scouting report is correct, he should be able to handle second base pretty easily.  

As long as he is here, I hope he gets the majority of at bats over Valaika.  We know Valaika is, at best, a platoon player whereas perhaps Urias is a diamond  in the rough and a potential real starting second baseman.  

• Upvote 1

I look forward to getting a good look at him.   He looked pretty decent offensively last year, but his defense was quite shaky (4 errors in 54 innings).     Hopefully that was just a SSS fluke, possibly exacerbated by shuttling back and forth between 2B and SS.    He may fare better if he’s mostly playing 2B.

I liked what I saw from Urias last year in limited looks. His swing is simple and he drives the ball more consistently than Alberto, and he does so with the entire field. He has more arm and range than Alberto, but the jury is still out on his hands. He looks above average at times, and he’ll make some flashier plays with his glove. And then, he’ll clank one that was hit right to him. It may be a lack of focus at times. We’ll see. Alberto could make a lot of contact, certainly. Overall, I think Urias has more tools and a more rounded game. 

The second base job is up for grabs between Valaika, Urias and who ever else Elias finds on the waiver wire.  In ST it looked like no one wanted the starting job.   

If Valaika hits like he did last year its his.   He is the better defensive 2B of the two.   Urias will probably get his chances to show if he belongs in the majors.    I would not discount the possibility that we could see Richie Martin in the majors mid year.    All three have options.

Elias sounds like he believes there will be additional 2B available early in the season.

Just have to wait to see who can put it together.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The second base job is up for grabs between Valaika, Urias and who ever else Elias finds on the waiver wire.  In ST it looked like no one wanted the starting job.   

If Valaika hits like he did last year its his.   He is the better defensive 2B of the two.   Urias will probably get his chances to show if he belongs in the majors.    I would not discount the possibility that we could see Richie Martin in the majors mid year.    All three have options.

Elias sounds like he believes there will be additional 2B available early in the season.

Just have to wait to see who can put it together.

How do you know Valaika is the better defensive player?

From what I've seen, Urias will struggle defensively. I think he'll be worst than Alberto on the D side and probably a little better overall on the offensive side, due to the fact he has a little more pop. I think he's just a stop gap until one of the younger players is given a legit chance. One thing I've notice on his defense is he struggles with turning the double play, we'll see