The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

38 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I had hoped that Sisco could become a serviceable backup catcher, in time.  I have far less confidence at this point.  But, I don't like Severino either.  

He’s the worst we have ever seen...except for the other guy, who is the worst we have ever seen...

Given that, I’d like to see someone else.

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

Have you finished "underreacting" or should we move on to your boy Wade LeBlanc?  ?

I’m certainly done...until the next time the exact same scenario comes up and Hyde again does the wrong thing, which is not preparing for an anticipated problem, leaving the starter in too long, getting up a reliever too late.

Regarding LeBlanc, he’s a guy. I know why he’s here.  Some guys see him as a tasty trade chip come June. Nah. He’s just a warm body. I wish Akin had done his job and made LeBlanc redundant, but it’s ok.

Our pitching will be fine. I really wish we could do something at catcher.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

He’s the worst we have ever seen...except for the other guy, who is the worst we have ever seen...

Given that, I’d like to see someone else.

I don't know about THAT. The O's have seen a ton of pretty terrible backup catchers over the years. Most who don't even sniff a .700+ OPS which Sisco has consistently surpassed in the majors. 

That said, the ship has appeared to have sailed on Sisco living up to his prospect status. He's not good. But I don't think I'd call him the worst we've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I don't know about THAT. The O's have seen a ton of pretty terrible backup catchers over the years. Most who don't even sniff a .700+ OPS which Sisco has consistently surpassed in the majors. 

That said, the ship has appeared to have sailed on Sisco living up to his prospect status. He's not good. But I don't think I'd call him the worst we've ever seen. 

Well you have to go by offense and defense. His defense is bad, and so is his offense, and his office is really bad but on the other hand, you got a defense… Which unfortunately is also bad.

So he offers kind of nothing.

59 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well you have to go by offense and defense. His defense is bad, and so is his offense, and his office is really bad but on the other hand, you got a defense… Which unfortunately is also bad.

So he offers kind of nothing.

I hear you but again - career .683 OPS in the bigs, .741 just last year, .729 over a larger sample in 2019. That's not terrible for a backup catcher. But it's definitely not what you want from a guy touted as having a much better bat. 

If he could defend, a .700 OPS looks a LOT better. 

I would caution against judging Sisco too much over his 8 ABs this season, most of which came against a particularly more-god-mode-than-usual Cole. 

55 minutes ago, interloper said:

I hear you but again - career .683 OPS in the bigs, .741 just last year, .729 over a larger sample in 2019. That's not terrible for a backup catcher. But it's definitely not what you want from a guy touted as having a much better bat. 

I would caution against judging Sisco too much over his 8 ABs this season, most of which came against a particularly more-god-mode-than-usual Cole. 

A backup catcher could have a lengthy career if they can put up a .700 OPS while playing good defense. 

16 hours ago, Philip said:

You don’t need to give a day off, four games into the season, when you’re facing the Yankees, to your best player, so that a raw rookie who can’t hit can start in his stead. This is game FOUR, not game 84, and it’s a long time till the hot steamy days of June.

yes we need to give lots of time to our untested rookies. I look forward to it.But it was unjustifiable to do so then. It was stupid. And I’m writing this on Tuesday after another round of stupid.

There is very little doubt in my mind that Hyde gave Santander the day off because he’s still nursing his oblique back to 100% and Hyde didn’t want to push him too hard.    It doesn’t bother me one iota, especially when you consider that Santander missed 23 games with an oblique strain last year.    If Hyde decides to err on the conservative side and lessen the risk of a similarly serious injury, it’s fine with me.    I doubt he did it just for the hell of it.    He played Santander every single game last year up until his injury.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Can we also judge him for his awful Spring Training too along with his 41 strike outs in 98 at bats last season, nearly half the time. Or his .175 average for the month of September last season?

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Can we also judge him for his awful Spring Training too along with his 41 strike outs in 98 at bats last season, nearly half the time. Or his .175 average for the month of September last season?

Yeah we definitely can. His decent OPS is mostly buoyed by walks rather than slugging, and he strikes out a horrific amount. 

5 minutes ago, MGH5208 said:

Should McKenna be in left in the bottom of the 8th or do you value keeping MC bat in the lineup more?

Mountcastle was due up 4th in the ninth so I don’t have issue with keeping him in with where they were in lineup thinking he could get up in the top half of the inning.   If he was due up like 7th or 8th then yeah I would have liked McKenna in left.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1