The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Is there something wrong with Coulombe?

He is left handed so they want him in the game vs Alverez and Tucker.  They have Perez and Coulombe to get through that part of the order.  If it was still close in the 9th they would have used him in that spot.  

10 hours ago, bpilktree said:

What is indefensible is Elias not getting an actual veteran bullpen guy at the deadline.  It is clear to everyone the middle of the bullpen has been an issue all year even as good as we are playing.  The other guys not named Cano and Bautista have been bad.  We should have been able to get at least 1 good bullpen guy and not be counting on a rookie with little experience at major league level.  

I used to say that, but now Cano, and apparently Bautista, are struggling too. It's a complete mess.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s no second guessing today. Heck of a game by Hyde. Mullins with the steal of 3rd. Flawless bullpen management. No Fuji. 

"No Fuji" ... They were trying to win...lol 

Let's leave him for mop up duty right now until/if he can proves that he can handle any sort of pressure in a tight game. He's been disastrous on those spots thus far.

Bullpen certainly looked like their first-half version yesterday. If they can keep this up, it will be huge down the stretch.

I hope Fujinami can be part of that. He has electric stuff. Maybe seeing a sport psychologist could help him. I am serious.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s no second guessing today. Heck of a game by Hyde. Mullins with the steal of 3rd. Flawless bullpen management. No Fuji. 

IMO a bit of a brain fart by Seattle....who steals 3rd with a left hander at bat?? Either the pitcher ignored Mullins or the SS wasn't holding him. I imagine the SS was behind the bag with a leftie at the plate.

35 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I don't like how long he pauses at the balance point. I feel like that messes with his ability to sync everything up in the delivery. I would like to see him be more fluid through the whole delivery

Doesn't he do that only without guys on base? He's actually much worse with men on (.708 vs .854). It's a very common technique Japanese pitchers use to mess with hitters timing. 

23 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

IMO a bit of a brain fart by Seattle....who steals 3rd with a left hander at bat?? Either the pitcher ignored Mullins or the SS wasn't holding him. I imagine the SS was behind the bag with a leftie at the plate.

They're also just not very good at protecting the basepaths. From Roch's blog yesterday:

"The Orioles have thrown out 26.7 percent of runners attempting to steal, the fourth highest in the league. Seattle ranks last in the majors at 13.3 percent"

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm shooting fish in a barrel here, but...come on.  You bring Baumann in the 10th, when the best 10th inning pitcher in the world only threw 9 pitches in the 9th?  And he was well-rested coming into the game?  

The next 2 pitching matchups are not great for the O's...tonight might have been the best chance for a win in the series.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Yeah, I'm shooting fish in a barrel here, but...come on.  You bring Baumann in the 10th, when the best 10th inning pitcher in the world only threw 9 pitches in the 9th?  And he was well-rested coming into the game?  

The next 2 pitching matchups are not great for the O's...tonight might have been the best chance for a win in the series.   

Calling back Santander and sending up Mateo to bunt is the decision that annoys me more. McKenna can steal second on his own. Put a real hitter up there, Brandon.

• Upvote 2