Kjerstad still hasn't reported to alternate site [UPDATE: He's reported]

interloper

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

It’s a little strange that people make these bold proclamations after less 20 games worth of data last season. The top 10s on mock drafts now are different than they were even halfway into the season. Let alone after 15 games. I get people are upset they didn’t follow mock drafts but if we’re going to constantly harp on SSS, last year’s season is a prime example. We will see if the Os projections were correct. So far the results from the other college bats that draft have been encouraging.

Right, and along with that, many draft experts like Jim Callis said after the draft that Kjerstad was about to break out and was probably a TOP 3-5 pick. Callis said that he did a little more digging with scouts post draft and Kjerstad was not as big a reach as some thought. Obviously, the myocarditis did nothing but empower the doom and gloom around here. A little patience and we'll see. Nothing is easy or guaranteed. These guys (Elias, Mejdal and staff) have a track record and they are among the best in the industry at what they do. Some folks around here talk about Elias like he is some kind of haphazard fool. Cracks me up, honestly.

If you watch his swing and approach, his swing decisions, his process, it is obvious that he made a lot of progress before his junior year. The limited results were outstanding. Not just the numbers, but the way in which he achieved them. His process appears to be sustainable. Just need him to get back on the field and prove it so the snarky naysayers can look for something else to complain about. 

• Upvote 3

Man imagine where this system would be right now if Kjerstad was in even Delmarva right now putting up numbers like everyone else down there?  

My hope is just that he plays in some games, 10-20, at some level this year. Can’t really blame the guy for having a heart issue. 

Would really love to hear an interview with him about now.  How is he feeling, what is his frame of mind, is he still committed to the game or did this heart issue take some of that away?

Assuming the myocarditis is gone and doesn’t come back and assuming his strength is back to normal, the issue for him won’t be likely be between the lines...it will be between his ears.  The hardest part about an injury or illness is coming back from it mentally.  Some guys are able to do it easily.  Others can’t.

This is on a different level than a normal injury, so we just have no idea how his mental outlook is going to be.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Elias had targets in mind other than just Mayo and Baumler that were gone before he wanted to pick them.

He might have had hopes that someone else would be there, but he’d have been foolish to plan his draft strategy on the assumption that some particular player would be there later in the draft.   I don’t think for one second that Elias didn’t appreciate this very obvious point.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He might have had hopes that someone else would be there, but he’d have been foolish to plan his draft strategy on the assumption that some particular player would be there later in the draft.   I don’t think for one second that Elias didn’t appreciate this very obvious point.   

I didn't say or intentionally imply that he had only one name in mind.  I don't think Mayo and Baumler were his first choice.  I'm sure he had a list of targets prepared when he decided to go underslot at #2.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, doccat said:

Orioles are just cursed with bad luck when it comes to the top Draft picks....    It's one thing if the player never pans out or develops, but its another when they never even get the opportunity to play...   I recall we drafted a pitcher with our top pick one year named Chris Smith I think with the 7th overall pick.   He threw a grand total of 50 innings before his career ended....

Smith was regarded as a bad pick the second it was announced.

That was back when Peter was involved in the draft.

I don't know if people saw this report from June 18th, but it's not very encouraging - as the inflammation has recurred:

June 18, 2021 12:52 AM
Orioles' Heston Kjerstad: Heart inflammation resurfaces
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

GM Mike Elias said Kjerstad (illness) had his rehab program slowed due to "recurring inflammation with his heart," Jon Meoli of The Baltimore Sun reports.

The 22-year-old has yet to see game action since being drafted No. 2 overall during the 2020 draft due to myocarditis, and the inflammation has recently resurfaced while he was getting back into playing shape. Kjerstad is still expected to return at some point, but he won't be making his professional debut in the minors anytime soon.

40 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I don't know if people saw this report from June 18th, but it's not very encouraging - as the inflammation has recurred:

It was reported on the Orioles board here:

You really have to feel bad for Kjerstad.   You just have to hope he can recover to the point where he can lead a normal, reasonably healthy life.   Baseball seems pretty secondary at this point.   

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You really have to feel bad for Kjerstad.   You just have to hope he can recover to the point where he can lead a normal, reasonably healthy life.   Baseball seems pretty secondary at this point.   

True but on the other hand how much better position is he in now then if this illness had cropped up even a month earlier?

He's going to get the best medical care possible and he's in a great situation financially.

For every Kjerstad out there we got dozens of people that are no where near as fortunate.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

True but on the other hand how much better position is he in now then if this illness had cropped up even a month earlier?

He's going to get the best medical care possible and he's in a great situation financially.

For every Kjerstad out there we got dozens of people that are no where near as fortunate.

So true. I only wish the young man the best. 

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Agreed. I just hope the young man can recover and lead a normal life. Sure, the Orioles fans in us all want him to recover to 100% and get back to being the prospect he was, but his overall health is most important for a 22-year old.

• Upvote 2