Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might mean he simply trying to overpower them with fastballs and getting burned.

I was there. The first home run was an inside the park job. Long flyball the dead center, that Rizer misplayed.  Second homer was a nuke job about 30 feet inside the foul pole. 

Grayson struggled with command of his off speed pitches.  Hitters started to sit on the fastball. They still generally weren’t hitting it hard.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Yeah, the inside the parker was a major league fly out. I was down the line a bit so can’t speak as much to command, but he certainly did get some swing and miss on the slider and at least one K on the change up.

37 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Yeah, the inside the parker was a major league fly out. I was down the line a bit so can’t speak as much to command, but he certainly did get some swing and miss on the slider and at least one K on the change up.

His off-speed stuff is really good, he just struggled to command it. 

Simeon Woods-Richardson pitched for New Hampshire today, teasing the possibility of a SWR v. Grayson collision next Saturday night.

Grayson is now one of 60 Double-A Northeast starters with 4 GS; tonight I get him 8th in estimated K-BB%.   SWR is one of his betters for the moment.    He's had two games against bad teams, two against the better Akron team, and now Austin Martin and the one offense in the league as productive as the Baysox so far.

Megill 33, Otto 32, Roansy/DL Hall/Frisbee 31, SWR/Logue 30, then Grayson 29.

Rodriguez also 8th in K%, 8th in H/9, 6th in ERA among that group of 60. 

I'd peg him 4 games in as already one of the best pitchers in the league, but probably not blowing through as fast as High-A.   Saturday night if the stars align could be about as sweet as it gets outside the Futures Game.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Easy 100 miles per hour and working fast. I really like the pitch clock in the minors, it encourages guys to work faster. I have never actually seen it result in any repercussions for pitchers who let it expire, but just having it there is good for the rhythm of the game, keeps things moving. 

Off speed pitches looked good although the location was an issue at times. He was locating the fastball really well and most of the opposing hitters couldn't catch up with it.

Most of the hitters didn't have a chance against him, yeah he needs to work on the off-speed location, but I don't see how he could spend the rest of the season at AA, he is just too far ahead of the batters there. If the Orioles were competitive this year, he could contribute positively to the MLB team right now, certainly out of the bullpen.

The first home run probably should have been caught by Rizer, and should have at worst been a double. A decent relay would have nailed the runner at the plate too, but it short-hopped Adley and he couldn't make the play. Very much a minor league play.

Nice review.  Thanks.  I am hoping that Grayson gets promoted to AAA along with Adley in mid July.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Easy 100 miles per hour and working fast. I really like the pitch clock in the minors, it encourages guys to work faster. I have never actually seen it result in any repercussions for pitchers who let it expire, but just having it there is good for the rhythm of the game, keeps things moving. 

Off speed pitches looked good although the location was an issue at times. He was locating the fastball really well and most of the opposing hitters couldn't catch up with it.

Most of the hitters didn't have a chance against him, yeah he needs to work on the off-speed location, but I don't see how he could spend the rest of the season at AA, he is just too far ahead of the batters there. If the Orioles were competitive this year, he could contribute positively to the MLB team right now, certainly out of the bullpen.

The first home run probably should have been caught by Rizer, and should have at worst been a double. A decent relay would have nailed the runner at the plate too, but it short-hopped Adley and he couldn't make the play. Very much a minor league play.

Thanks Murph - glad you reported!  Here is a photographic representation by Patrick Cavey!

30 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Thanks Murph - glad you reported!  Here is a photographic representation by Patrick Cavey!

Cool pictures. I would have liked to have moved around and seen him from different angles but I had my 16-month-old with me, just getting to watch the game was a win! I was right behind the plate in the second row, so I can't complain about the view I had.

Hopefully I will be able to make it out for his next start if it is Friday or Saturday. Hopefully some other Hangouters can make it too.

Baysox games are a lot more fun when the fans are into them. With yesterday being Father's Day, and an afternoon game with a giveaway for Dads, I'm sure the crowd wasn't as good as it was on Tuesday night for his first home start. It was just so damn hot and lots of kids around.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Cool pictures. I would have liked to have moved around and seen him from different angles but I had my 16-month-old with me, just getting to watch the game was a win! I was right behind the plate in the second row, so I can't complain about the view I had.

Hopefully I will be able to make it out for his next start if it is Friday or Saturday. Hopefully some other Hangouters can make it too.

Baysox games are a lot more fun when the fans are into them. With yesterday being Father's Day, and an afternoon game with a giveaway for Dads, I'm sure the crowd wasn't as good as it was on Tuesday night for his first home start. It was just so damn hot and lots of kids around.

Was lucky enough to be at both. Tuesday was a way more invested crowd, conversation stopped when Grayson was on the mound. 

Grayson looked way better yesterday than Tuesday, btw. Had much better put away ability, seemed to locate a bit better (esp the FB).

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Simeon Woods-Richardson pitched for New Hampshire today, teasing the possibility of a SWR v. Grayson collision next Saturday night.

Grayson is now one of 60 Double-A Northeast starters with 4 GS; tonight I get him 8th in estimated K-BB%.   SWR is one of his betters for the moment.    He's had two games against bad teams, two against the better Akron team, and now Austin Martin and the one offense in the league as productive as the Baysox so far.

Megill 33, Otto 32, Roansy/DL Hall/Frisbee 31, SWR/Logue 30, then Grayson 29.

Rodriguez also 8th in K%, 8th in H/9, 6th in ERA among that group of 60. 

I'd peg him 4 games in as already one of the best pitchers in the league, but probably not blowing through as fast as High-A.   Saturday night if the stars align could be about as sweet as it gets outside the Futures Game.

Great info. And SWR would be a really fun matchup.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The play at the plate on the ITP "homer".  As you reported, the ball skipped past Adley.  Did Grenier throw home?

10 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The play at the plate on the ITP "homer".  As you reported, the ball skipped past Adley.  Did Grenier throw home?

I'm pretty sure it was Yahn. Rizer overthrew the initial cutoff man, so it went to a secondary cutoff man, which I would assume would be the second baseman in that situation.

As an aside, I was disappointed to see Yahn starting at second yesterday instead of Joey Ortiz. I was glad to see Ortiz pinch-run for Adley in the 9th, which makes me think that Ortiz is close to returning from whatever minor injury he has. Ortiz hadn't played since Wednesday, hopefully he is full steam ahead on Tuesday.