First look at Lowther

Frobby

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That is how you end up paying market rates.

I love the guy.  But I wouldn't be looking to take him into FA.  He's 32 before he earns a FA dollar.

As painful as it would be, I'd trade him before I extended him.  And I'm not in a big rush to trade him.  He's getting better.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I love the guy.  But I wouldn't be looking to take him into FA.  He's 32 before he earns a FA dollar.

As painful as it would be, I'd trade him before I extended him.  And I'm not in a big rush to trade him.  He's getting better.

I just see a future in which they hold him until he gets expensive and they end up with a Gausman/Bundy level return.

18 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I can't disagree with your basic concept in this case, but I'm very discouraged as an Orioles fan of 50 years if we aren't going to try to win soon and build a core of players to build around.

They’ll trade off anyone making or slated to make over $1 mil and continue to pump the “international” and “analytics” narratives. I hate to be so negative, but I’ve learned to see past the BS with this organization, sadly. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

A name out of the past.  Yes I forgot about Kam.  We flipped him after a year didnt we?  Or did we let him just walk?  I cant remember

He was part of the Mark Reynolds trade, along with David Hernández.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just see a future in which they hold him until he gets expensive and they end up with a Gausman/Bundy level return.

So far he's been a lot better than those guys were.  If that were to continue, the return would be much better.

Nobody is going to worry about arb prices for a guy with a 125 era+ for his career. (And, to my eye, rapidly climbing.)

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

So far he's been a lot better than those guys were.  If that were to continue, the return would be much better.

Nobody is going to worry about arb prices for a guy with a 125 era+ for his career. (And, to my eye, rapidly climbing.)

There are teams that would worry about arb prices for a career 125 ERA+ guy.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he starts games 2 and 6 of the 2024 World Series for us and we wind up getting a comp pick when he walks, I'm Ok with that.

16 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Sat 91-93 with the fastball. I thought the scouting reports said lower than that.

You have to remember two things here. One, the adrenaline of making his major league debut can add some velocity, and two, he knew he was only going to pitch an inning. Saying that, he's not far off what I've seen him at in the minors. He'll be 88-92 on most days. The thing is his extension to the plate allows his fastball to play up a bit.

I'm happy to see Lowther get his major league feet wet, but I hope he goes into the rotation. He's a tick better as a prospect than Zimmermann and even though he doesn't have seven AAA starts under his belt like Zimmermann, if he's going to stay in the bigs he should be used as a starter as that's his future role.

Even if they want to bring Kremer back, and I'm not they do since he struggled with his command in the alternate game he started, they can move Lopez back to the pen where he has a better chance to compete well.

16 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Other than obviously Means, who has earned their spot.  Harvey and Zimmerman have been adequate.  Lowther deserves one of the other spots.  Is there a blank spot now that LeBlanc has been DFA'ed? 

You might say there's a Leblank spot.

Okay, thanks everyone. I'll see myself out.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to remember two things here. One, the adrenaline of making his major league debut can add some velocity, and two, he knew he was only going to pitch an inning. Saying that, he's not far off what I've seen him at in the minors. He'll be 88-92 on most days. The thing is his extension to the plate allows his fastball to play up a bit.

I'm happy to see Lowther get his major league feet wet, but I hope he goes into the rotation. He's a tick better as a prospect than Zimmermann and even though he doesn't have seven AAA starts under his belt like Zimmermann, if he's going to stay in the bigs he should be used as a starter as that's his future role.

Even if they want to bring Kremer back, and I'm not they do since he struggled with his command in the alternate game he started, they can move Lopez back to the pen where he has a better chance to compete well.

That is good to hear, the two times I saw him at Bowie he was sitting 88-89 and hit 90 a couple times. It would be great if he could at least sit 90-91 as a starter. I agree about the extension allowing the fastball to play up. Keith Law is a fan.