Drew Rom 2021

Frobby

34 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Glad he made it through five innings to get the win. There already have been a couple taken out with 4 2/3 of work.

They seem to have a 75 pitch limit on right now.   But Rom was well within that so they let him go 5.   

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, NCRaven said:

A lot of early contact.  Only 2 strikeouts.  Hall struck out 10 in his 4+ innings.

I don’t think anyone will be confusing Hall and Rom.    Rom is more of an Alex Wells type.   But I don’t judge games purely on strikeouts.   

Remarks from his pitching coach:

Moore on Rom: “I love Rom. I saw him pitch all season in 2019. A super-athletic lefty with a bunch of different pitches and commands all of them. So when you are standing there, you have no idea what arm slot he’s coming out of, and he’s got five pitches and at some point of the game he threw them all for strikes. Really nasty split-finger. So that is his real nasty swing-and-miss thing. His velocity is 92, 94 (mph). He’s got sneaky velocity. You think he’s a normal lefty and you go back to the dugout saying, ‘That thing really jumped on me.’ Really like Rom’s pitchability. He’s young, a high school kid from Kentucky. But he has outstanding feel for his pitches for a young kid.”  https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/05/a-look-at-the-rotation-leading-aberdeen-to-a-5-1-start.html

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Glad to hear the velocity is up, because last time he was pitching the velocity was like 88-91, IIRC

Rom's had a lot of success with lower velocity, but his prospect status hasn't reflected it because there's a big question of whether his stuff will play at the upper/ML levels. If he's able to hold or slightly uptick that velo from 92-94, we have a real prospect on our hands here.

I watched Rom's start last night and here's what I saw.

He works effectively down in the zone with his pitches and has a nice left on left breaking ball that can get swings and misses when down in the zone. The announcer didn't give velocity readings so not sure how hard he was throwing, but he didn't get a ton of swing and miss on the fastball, but did get some in his 4th inning of work. His change was a weapon against righties but he doesn't throw it enough.

He shook of the catcher on a perfect opportunity to use his changeup and went to the breaking ball and gave up a hit. He gets a pretty decent amount of ground balls and is a strike thrower who didn't get a lot of chase though he did get some whiff in the zone, especially early in the game.

The slider and curveball can look similar but he threw a real nice slider to strike out a lefty in the 4th when he struck out the side.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Having a very nice game tonight for Aberdeen:  7 K, 0 BB and 1 earned run through 5 IP.

For the season, he has a 2.70 ERA and his peripherals are even better:  31 K and only 3 BB and 1 HR in 26.2 IP (including tonight through the 5th inning).

Wonder what his fastball velocity is these days--I agree with earlier posts saying that if he is now in the 92-94 range, we can start getting excited about him.

57 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Having a very nice game tonight for Aberdeen:  7 K, 0 BB and 1 earned run through 5 IP.

For the season, he has a 2.70 ERA and his peripherals are even better:  31 K and only 3 BB and 1 HR in 26.2 IP (including tonight through the 5th inning).

Wonder what his fastball velocity is these days--I agree with earlier posts saying that if he is now in the 92-94 range, we can start getting excited about him.

He is an under the radar guy who I’ve always liked.   Would be interested to hear from someone who’s seen him pitch this year.   

Rom has nice pitchabaility for his age, but his velocity sits in the 89-91 range and has not really ticked up as hoped for by this age. He throws four pitches all around the strike zone which is why he's having such success. 

His stuff is similar to Bruce Zimmerman though Zimmerman throw a tick or two higher. Rom's command is what enables him to stand out above other similar stuff pitchers like Cameron Bishop and Alex Wells (Rom's change is much better than Well's hard straight change).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Rom has nice pitchabaility for his age, but his velocity sits in the 89-91 range and has not really ticked up as hoped for by this age. He throws four pitches all around the strike zone which is why he's having such success. 

His stuff is similar to Bruce Zimmerman though Zimmerman throw a tick or two higher. Rom's command is what enables him to stand out above other similar stuff pitchers like Cameron Bishop and Alex Wells (Rom's change is much better than Well's hard straight change).

Means increased his velocity at a "late age". I wonder if  Rom can do the same?

How much filling out can he do with his frame?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Zach Davies is still around.  Horrid friggin trade.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Means increased his velocity at a "late age". I wonder if  Rom can do the same?

How much filling out can he do with his frame?

It's hard to say looking at him in uniform. Means is more of an exception than a rule, but there is always hope for a tick or two improvement.