Cody Sedlock 2021

Legend_Of_Joey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't hear much about Cody Sedlock but he seems to have had another good start tonight., 5 2/3 innings 1ER on a HR, 4 hits 1 BB, 5 K's.  Take out that first bad start and he has been ok.  Don't know about his stuff or anything.  At 26 he probably has pitched well enough to see what he can do at AAA.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Big time AAA debut for Sedlock. 5 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 6 K, 0 BB's. 

Havent heard much about him this year. 4.61 ERA at Bowie is higher than last year, but walks were actually down from 5.3 to 4.3. 

Any word on whether his velocity is back where they expected when they drafted him or has he become a different kind of pitcher?

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s going to have to be protected from the Rule 5 this year. Last year we gambled and didn’t protect him. 

Will we protect him? I tend to think most likely not. Haven’t seen him pitch though, can anyone give a report on how the stuff looks?

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s going to have to be protected from the Rule 5 this year. Last year we gambled and didn’t protect him. 

I believe he will as well. 

Obviously he looked great yesterday but what really stood out was his swing and miss changeup that he uses against against both lefties and righties. Last night he commanded everything but got a ton of swing and miss on that changeup. Now I've seen him bad this year as well and usually that when he's not commanding.

He's definitely back on the scene but the question is how often will he bring this kind of command? There is a some upside and he's a got a nice floor as a fastball, changeup reliever.

Overall
93-94, T95 will occasionally be 91-92
Changeup best offspeed, swing and miss 83-85 offering, will throw against rigties as well
Slider is inconsistent but keeps it down. Can throw some average sliders
Flash 77 get me over curveball.
Right-handed version of Patrick Sandoval stuff wise?

• Upvote 3

• Tony-OH changed the title to Cody Sedlock 2001
4 hours ago, joelala said:

Will we protect him? I tend to think most likely not. Haven’t seen him pitch though, can anyone give a report on how the stuff looks?

Last outing vs Charlotte he looked pretty sharp. I'm wary of critiquing a game that I know he fared really well in....don't learn as much about him as a pitcher. He didn't give up any hard hits in the air, and a few of the hits were pretty weak. FB ranged from 91-95, mostly sitting 92-94. Slider was pretty consistently in the 85 mph range and was pretty effective. Best pitch was his changeup, in the low 80s with some movement. Threw in a couple of high 70s curveballs that had nice movement. His control was pretty sharp. He has a lot of arm extension in his delivery that struck me as possibly prone to future shoulder issues, but that's totally speculative. Just seemed like a high arm effort delivery. It will be interesting to see how he fares the rest of the season. Not sure if we'd protect him, but I could see another team taking a low risk gamble to stash him as a middle reliever if he continues to be effective at AAA. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I believe he will as well. 

Obviously he looked great yesterday but what really stood out was his swing and miss changeup that he uses against against both lefties and righties. Last night he commanded everything but got a ton of swing and miss on that changeup. Now I've seen him bad this year as well and usually that when he's not commanding.

He's definitely back on the scene but the question is how often will he bring this kind of command? There is a some upside and he's a got a nice floor as a fastball, changeup reliever.

Overall
93-94, T95 will occasionally be 91-92
Changeup best offspeed, swing and miss 83-85 offering, will throw against rigties as well
Slider is inconsistent but keeps it down. Can throw some average sliders
Flash 77 get me over curveball.
Right-handed version of Patrick Sandoval stuff wise?

It's almost like we watched the same game. ?

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Frobby said:

6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 8 K tonight.   I’d say he’s liking AAA,   Since his promotion, Sedlock has given up just 6 ER in 19.2 IP with 22 K and 4 BB.   He’s been much better at Norfolk than he was at Bowie.   Go figure.   

Walk rate down from over 4 to under 2. Does Bowie have a bigger plate?