Bring up Ryan Ripken!

NelsonCruuuuuz

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Rosters only expand by 2 in September these days. 

I hate this change to the roster rules.  I think expanding from 25, now 26, to 40 was always a bit ridiculous.  The 2 is too restrictive.  I'd like to move it to 5 so that you can take advantage of that time of the season to take a look at more legitimate prospects.  Even if it's used by contending teams to bring up AAAA players to protect players for the stretch run and playoffs, I'm fine with that.

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I hate this change to the roster rules.  I think expanding from 25, now 26, to 40 was always a bit ridiculous.  The 2 is too restrictive.  I'd like to move it to 5 so that you can take advantage of that time of the season to take a look at more legitimate prospects.  Even if it's used by contending teams to bring up AAAA players to protect players for the stretch run and playoffs, I'm fine with that.

I think the reason it is only 28 is so it gives the owners a free concession in the next CBA talks.  They'll expand it to 30, which is enough.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the reason it is only 28 is so it gives the owners a free concession in the next CBA talks.  They'll expand it to 30, which is enough.

You may well be right. and 30 would be fine with me.

57 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Rosters only expand by 2 in September these days.   A lot of people are still in the old mindset that you bring a bunch of people up.

Most teams will probably bring up a C and a P.   Obviously you can still cycle people up and down to use more than 28 guys in September, but it isn't like the old days where most teams brought up 8 or more guys right after Labor Day.

Guilty as charged, and I withdraw my previous opinion.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's 27 and it's been four games.

He's got one extra base hit.

Anyone see the triple?  Was it legit or did a defender make a misplay?

When you bat .357 in AAA, you open eyes across the industry. Im sure the Orioles are aware of him. They just need a few injuries to open up a position for him. 

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

When you bat .357 in AAA, you open eyes across the industry. Im sure the Orioles are aware of him. They just need a few injuries to open up a position for him. 

How many injuries do you need to open up a position for a defensively challenged firstbaseman with little power.

Once again, its been four games.

Anyone remember Luis Montanez winning the AA triple crown as a 26 year old?  How'd that work out for him?

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

You know that Bill Veeck did that once, right?

It wasn't the whole crowd, just a section. The quote below is from https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/stories/inside-pitch/grandstand-managers-night#:~:text=19%2C 1951%2C Veeck had stunned,walked away with vivid pictures:

By the way, anyone who hasn't read Veeck as in Wreck should do so. I think you'll find it's a little like watching the Orioles: it'll remind you both why you love baseball and why MLB drives you crazy sometimes.

A quick glance at the box score of the Philadelphia Athletics and St. Louis Browns game on Aug. 24, 1951 would suggest that nothing was out of the ordinary. It seemed to be a typical Friday game, between two teams who were far out of playoff contention.

But with Bill Veeck at the helm of the St. Louis Browns, that game was anything but typical.

On that day, Veeck orchestrated “Grandstand Managers Night,” a promotion which allowed fans to vote on key decisions during the course of the game, using placards which read “yes” or “no.”

Over 1,000 “grandstand managers” sat in a special section behind the Browns dugout, while Browns manager Zack Taylor relaxed in a rocking chair in the next box over, in casual clothing and a pipe in his mouth, as he enjoyed his night off.

The fans began their short-lived managerial careers by deciding the lineup of the game. They wrote their choices on lineup cards, delivered to the Browns prior to the game. After tallying fan responses, a lineup was decided on.

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

It wasn't the whole crowd, just a section. The quote below is from https://baseballhall.org/discover-more/stories/inside-pitch/grandstand-managers-night#:~:text=19%2C 1951%2C Veeck had stunned,walked away with vivid pictures:

By the way, anyone who hasn't read Veeck as in Wreck should do so. I think you'll find it's a little like watching the Orioles: it'll remind you both why you love baseball and why MLB drives you crazy sometimes.

A quick glance at the box score of the Philadelphia Athletics and St. Louis Browns game on Aug. 24, 1951 would suggest that nothing was out of the ordinary. It seemed to be a typical Friday game, between two teams who were far out of playoff contention.

But with Bill Veeck at the helm of the St. Louis Browns, that game was anything but typical.

On that day, Veeck orchestrated “Grandstand Managers Night,” a promotion which allowed fans to vote on key decisions during the course of the game, using placards which read “yes” or “no.”

Over 1,000 “grandstand managers” sat in a special section behind the Browns dugout, while Browns manager Zack Taylor relaxed in a rocking chair in the next box over, in casual clothing and a pipe in his mouth, as he enjoyed his night off.

The fans began their short-lived managerial careers by deciding the lineup of the game. They wrote their choices on lineup cards, delivered to the Browns prior to the game. After tallying fan responses, a lineup was decided on.

Better than a drunken Bob Irsay calling in plays from the owners box to the Colts head coach. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many injuries do you need to open up a position for a defensively challenged firstbaseman with little power.

Once again, its been four games.

Anyone remember Luis Montanez winning the AA triple crown as a 26 year old?  How'd that work out for him?

And Montanez spent parts of 4 years in the majors after that. Not a great career by any stretch, but a career nonetheless.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

And Montanez spent parts of 4 years in the majors after that. Not a great career by any stretch, but a career nonetheless.

Yep, 300 at bats and below replacement level.

Great for him, not so great for the teams he was on.

I'm sure getting to the majors would be great for Ryan.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, 300 at bats and below replacement level.

Great for him, not so great for the teams he was on.

I'm sure getting to the majors would be great for Ryan.

If he were right-handed and could play 2B or 3B, I'd give him a shot.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

If he were right-handed and could play 2B or 3B, I'd give him a shot.

I'm torn.

On one hand I don't want to lose anyone on the 40 for him.

On the other hand it would be hilariously hypocritical of Elias to promote him to the majors.  So much so folks would be forced to wonder if it was a mandate from ownership.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm torn.

On one hand I don't want to lose anyone on the 40 for him.

On the other hand it would be hilariously hypocritical of Elias to promote him to the majors.  So much so folks would be forced to wonder if it was a mandate from ownership.

Or the satisfaction of a condition for the sale of the team. Talk about something to have mixed feelings about!