Is this team bad enough for the number 1 pick?

Greenpastures23

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Diamondbacks are 6 and 36 since May 1st. You’d think they have to start playing a little better soon, but it’s not going to be easy for the O’s to get the #1 pick. 

And 2-27 since May 15. They will be hard to catch.  

1 hour ago, LocoChris said:

And 2-27 since May 15. They will be hard to catch.  

You just never know when a team might turn around for a period.   Look at the 2010 Orioles - they were 32-73 on August 1, on pace for a 49-win season.   They had the worst record in baseball by four games worse than the second-worst team and seven games worse than  the third-worst.   Then Buck became the manager and they went 34-23 the rest of the season.   There’s no way you could have seen that coming.  

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Think about how terrible we are. And then think that there’s another team out there more pathetic than us. 

Imagine having to watch Arizona each night. I don’t think we are gonna get the #1 pick next year. 

Texas and Pitt are right there with us too.

We are this bad and may not pick until 4 or 5 again.

Since the no hitter, the Os are 7-29.  That’s not even the worst 36 game stretch I can think of off the top of my head.  We ended the year 4-32 in the early 2000s under Hargrove.  

Just amazing how futile this organization has been.  What an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Texas and Pitt are right there with us too.

We are this bad and may not pick until 4 or 5 again.

I know, that's kind of my fear.  If we're this bad, we should be picking #1 or #2.  I don't want to be 4 or 5.

The only way I'd be happy with 4th or 5th is if it meant that AR and some other prospects are up later this summer and are contributing and the team is looking better.  If we're 4th or 5th with the current cast that we have, that's terrible.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Since the no hitter, the Os are 7-29.  That’s not even the worst 36 game stretch I can think of off the top of my head.  We ended the year 4-32 in the early 2000s under Hargrove.  

Just amazing how futile this organization has been.  What an embarrassment.

Yes, I remember the 4-32 sleepwalk, it was bad.

I think the Diamondbacks are something like 2-27 over their last stretch.  That's not a 36 game stretch but they're going to give that 4-32 a run for the money.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2021.shtml

It’s a shame when you are looking at another team’s roster to see if they are going to trade away more at the deadline. This race for the #1 pick is all that matters. 

It pains me to say this, but unless we trade Means, it’s looking like Arizona will have a worse 25 man roster the rest of the way. 

12 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Having looked at a lot of mock's, it seems Mayer goes 1 and Leiter won't last beyond 4. Watson has shot up boards in the last week or so which makes me wonder if he's willing to go slightly underslot and that's why he's jumped up.

But if Mayer goes 1 and Leiter goes either 3 or 4, that would leave some combo of:

Jordan Lawlar (a more polished bat than Bobby Witt) but will turn 19 a week after the draft

Kahlil Watson who has shot up boards but is a 5'9" probable second baseman

Henry Davis, the best college position player in the draft 

Brady House who is comped as a more athletic Joey Gallo or Nolan Gorman

If Elias goes underslot, I think it will be Colton Cowser or Sam Bachman. Sure hope we wind up with Lawlar.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Having looked at a lot of mock's, it seems Mayer goes 1 and Leiter won't last beyond 4. Watson has shot up boards in the last week or so which makes me wonder if he's willing to go slightly underslot and that's why he's jumped up.

But if Mayer goes 1 and Leiter goes either 3 or 4, that would leave some combo of:

Jordan Lawlar (a more polished bat than Bobby Witt) but will turn 19 a week after the draft

Kahlil Watson who has shot up boards but is a 5'9" probable second baseman

Henry Davis, the best college position player in the draft 

Brady House who is comped as a more athletic Joey Gallo or Nolan Gorman

If Elias goes underslot, I think it will be Colton Cowser or Sam Bachman. Sure hope we wind up with Lawlar.

I like Lawlar for the Os

The Os are 4 games back with 92 games to play vs AZ who has 90.  AZ has the toughest remaining schedule in baseball and the Os have the 4th toughest.  They cant trade Mancini and Means soon enough for me.  

On 6/17/2021 at 10:41 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, I remember the 4-32 sleepwalk, it was bad.

I think the Diamondbacks are something like 2-27 over their last stretch.  That's not a 36 game stretch but they're going to give that 4-32 a run for the money.

They're now 2-30 in their last 32 and just lost arguably their best player this year to a broken wrist.

And they have to face the Dodgers, Padres, and Giants (who somehow have the best record in MLB?) about 40 more times. 

It will be tough to "catch" them for #1. 

53 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

They're now 2-30 in their last 32 and just lost arguably their best player this year to a broken wrist.

And they have to face the Dodgers, Padres, and Giants (who somehow have the best record in MLB?) about 40 more times. 

It will be tough to "catch" them for #1. 

And watch out for the Rangers they are 3-18 in their last 21 games and only two games ahead of the Orioles in the standings. There are some spectacularly bad baseball teams this season.